LC
Posted By
Lawrence_Cramer
May 13, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just upgraded to CS 2 Premium, and could not get it to run. I would open PhotoShop, and it may run or not. It would start up but it was a roll of the dice if it would be able to open a document or not. If it did then for sure when I would go to close out of Photoshop all the pallets would close but the main window would hag…. And that would be the end of it. I’d have to click the red X (I’m on Windows XP Pro) or ctrl-alt-delete out of the program. Once I did this none of the CS programs would start up. If I tried to open Illustrator, or whatever it would get to the slash screen and that’s it, then I couldn’t even ctrl-alt-delete out, I’d have to reboot.

After 2 ½ days and many hours with support it was down to maybe having to revert back to CS1 and go for a refund. BUT, as a last ditch effort the last support tech I talked to suggested two more things we could try.

1. Install on a different system and see if it would work. If it did it was my system. If not then maybe I had a corrupt install disk

2. Before trying # 1 he said if I was on a network, try unplugging from it and run offline. CS communicates quite a bit with Adobe if you have web access – checking for activation, updates and so forth, he thought that maybe by some chance our network security may not be letting CS “talk” the way it wants. If it is offline CS doesn’t try this.

Guess what! As soon as I unplugged from the network everything worked. I tried my hardest to get things to crash, opening a huge doc in PS while at the same time opening InDesign and Illustrator, you name it, everything worked. As soon as I plugged back into the network… CRASH.

I’ve got our network team looking at our settings to see what can be done. I’ll let you know what we find.

I must say though, I would consider this as a huge bug in CS2. If an attempt to communicate across a web connection fails or is blocked by a firewall, this should NOT render the programs unstable!!!! Adobe, please fix this. In the meantime, I hope this post may help someone facing the same issue.

Lawrence Cramer [TMM]
lawrence at cartweaver dot com

Cartweaver – ASP & ColdFusion Shopping Cart for Dreamweaver <http://www.cartweaver.com>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
May 13, 2005
I have CS2 on a networked machine and have not noticed any problem. What’s your network configuration? Might make a difference.
LC
Lawrence_Cramer
May 13, 2005
We’re going to swap out the nic card and see if that makes a difference. I’ll post what we find.
P
Phosphor
May 13, 2005
Is your default printer local or out on the network?

If on the network, change it to local, and see if that helps.
LC
Lawrence_Cramer
May 13, 2005
Ah Ha! Got it! It was Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2 firewall. Obviously it was not allowing CS to receive responses back from Adobe, so the program was hanging. We disabled the firewall and now, no problems.

This is ok for me, I’m already on a network that is behind a firewall anyway, and perhaps this was the issue, too many firewalls. Hopefully folks that need Windows firewall will still be able to use it.

Adobe should look into this.

Now that it will run, I’m off to play with all the new toys CS2 has to offer. Yea!
P
Phosphor
May 13, 2005
Now…disable the Adobe Online feature of all CS2 applications.
DM
dave_milbut
May 14, 2005
why is ps2 trying to contact adobe at all? after activation it should be a done deal.
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
May 14, 2005
Adobe apps look for upgrades and such, so they need to see what’s available.

I’d suggest ditching Windoze Firewall for any user and using something like Zone Alarm. And Microsoft itself says that running two firewalls on a machine will cause problems. Probably if you had only the built-in Windows firewall, you could configure it to allow Adbe apps to check for upgrades. Zone Alarm certainly has no problem with this, once you tell it what to do.
PB
Paul_Budzik
May 14, 2005
"Upgrades and Such" Could you explain what "Such" is.
JS
Jim_Sincock
May 25, 2005
This is helpful to hear others are having this problem, since I was having this problem with the old CS (which I posted to the forums) and now a week after installing CS2, Photoshop is creating huge network traffic to the point of me not being able to even work in Photoshop if I’m plugged into our network… which I need to be hooked to.

Whatever this traffic is has to be more than just looking for updates. I’m seeing two-way traffic up 2 Mbits. It drags Pshop down so much that simply trying to switch a 20mb file to CMYK takes over 30 secs on a 3 GHz machine with 2 GB of RAM. I did the same thing with a photo on my desktop and the network unplugged and the mode change was immediate.

My XP firewall has been turned off the entire time I’ve been encountering this problem. The previous time this happened, the traffic appeared to drop to nothing all on it’s own after about a solid week of the traffic.

Actually, I just tried each of the CS2 apps, and I’m having the same problem with all of them. GoLive taking almost two minutes to load, and open a new file, and then 40 secs to quit the program. And just as the previous time, this is only happening on my machine, not the two other identical computers running the same versions of everything. But those people don’t use CS all day, every as I do (if it is an issue about how long the apps are being used).

A day shot trying to solve problems… think I’ll go home and work on my Mac.

Jim
CC
Chris_Cox
May 25, 2005
Photoshop doesn’t talk on the network other than checking for updates.

If you set your printer as a networked device, or are accessing files on a remote server – only then will Photoshop usage cause network activity.

You really need to check the machine for other problems.
PB
Paul_Budzik
May 26, 2005
I’ve heard it also checks the LAN to see if there are additional copies with the same number running.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 26, 2005
Paul – you heard an incorrect rumor.
JS
Jim_Sincock
May 27, 2005
Chris, I do believe you are correct. Something else is going on with this XP box I’m working on. (wish I had my Mac at work) There seems to be some network related problem on my box only. We have our font management system pointing to fonts on our server. The other computers seem to have no problem with this, yet mine does. When I load all the fonts onto my C drive, and work from there, I have no troubles. Our IT guy is checking into this.

So CS2 seems to not be the culprit, but I just noticed my most used InDesign function seems to be gone, or misplaced… In my ad & magazine layout I always used the right click on graphic, edit original, which would then spirit me off to the photoshop or illustrator original. Why did they do away with that?! I don’t want to go to the Bridge or Explorer. I just want to open it in it’s orig app. I thought that was a very cool feature in InDesign, and it saved me a bunch-o-time. Or am I missing something?
CC
Chris_Cox
May 27, 2005
I don’t think they did away with it – I think something is just broken (InDesign not finding Photoshop). Check in the InDesign forum for more information.

Good luck solving your network troubles.
JS
Jim_Sincock
May 27, 2005
I found it, they just made the link more obvious and outside of the graphic menu I was so used to going to. Sheesh, yesterday was a long day!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections