Posted By
Jeff_Giberson
Feb 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

My pictures are significantly darker when printed than they are in the editing window. The Print Preview shows how they actually print. Do I have some wrong settings? Any thoughts? Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 23, 2004
Your monitor hasn’t been calibrated properly. The variation you’re seeing is the difference between how an image displays in Elements, which is a color managed application, versus the way colors appear in other desktop displays and program. This is really very common.

You don’t say which playform and operating system you use (a good detail to include in troubleshooting posts), but if you run a Win machine, software called Adobe Gamma was included with Elements for the purpose of calibrating your monitor. Mac users would use the Color Sync utility that comes with the OS.

Here’s a link to a site that explains color management and also provides some tips for calibrating monitors. And there’s a whole lot of other good stuff on it, too, for that matter. I’ve provided the link to the section on Color Management in PS 7.0, because that’s the engine powering Elements.

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_1.htm>

If you need help with Adobe Gamma, do a search of this forum for it. There have been a couple of good threads lately. However, I use a Mac so did pay much attention to them! 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections