D
Posted By
denvogel
Jun 6, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I spent a good portion of my weekend working on color matching what I see in Photoshop Elements (PE) v3 with what I get out of our Epson R800 printer. The good news is that what I see in "Print Preview" is very close to what I’m getting out of the printer. That bad news is, "Print Preview" looks very different than what I’m seeing while editing (I think this is called the "workspace"). Why are these two on-screen representations different and how do I get them to sync up?

SYSTEM INFO
* PowerBook G4 12-inch 1.5GHz, 768MB RAM, 100GB Hard Drive * Mac OS X (10.4.1)
* Photoshop Elements v3
* Epson R800 photo printer

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 6, 2005
The bad news is that it should be the opposite. The Print Preview portion of PSE 3.0 is not color managed, but the editing portion is. Your target is to be able to print what you’re seeing in the editing window, not print preview

Did you calibrate your monitor?
D
denvogel
Jun 6, 2005
Understood. Target was to match editing window and printer output. Just seemed more than coincidental that the print preview matched so closely.

I am using the LCD monitor that is integrated into my Powerbook. I had originally used the Apple Colorsync calibration utility to create a custom profile for it, but my research of some Elements and digital photo guides seemed to indicate that it was better to use the default settings on LCD.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 6, 2005
What color management settings are you using?

(One of these days I should print something from my PB and see what I get!)
D
denvogel
Jun 7, 2005
For the Display system pref I’m using "color LCD" profile, which is the default.

For Photoshop Elements general prefs: Color Settings I’m using "Full Color Management" For Elements print preview dialog prefs:
* Source Space: Adobe RGB (1998)
* Print Space: SPR800 Prem Glossy BstPhoto.icc (this is from Epson and matches the paper I’m printing on)
* Intent: Relative Colorimetric For Elements print dialog prefs: * ColorSync: Color Conversion: Standard, Quartz Filter: None * Print Settings: Media Type: Premium Glossy Photo Paper, Color: Color, Mode: Advanced: Print Quality: Photo RPM finest detail, Gloss Optimizer: On (matches what I’m printing on)
* Color Management: ColorSync

I think that’s everything I’ve mucked with. FWIW-I’m printing out the Photodisc PDI Test Image. Thanks for any guidance.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections