ME
Posted By
Mary_Ellen_Foster
Jan 21, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The image color profile was Adobe RGB 1998. When I use Print with Preview/Let Photoshop Determine Colors and Printer Profile: Adobe RGB 1998, I get the worst print from my HP Photosmart Pro B9180. Actually, I get horrible prints when I use the Let Photoshop Determine Colors feature at all. Photoshop HELP warns to turn off Color Management in the printer drivers but when I follow through to the final print dialogue box Color: Application Managed Colors is already set so there is nothing to turn off. I gone around with HP support and have been told I have to use the printers profiles. If this is the case, then why is there a Let Photoshop Determine Colors feature.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Regards,
mef

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Jan 21, 2007
Printer Profile: Adobe RGB 1998,

that’s not the printer profile that’s your working space.

your printer profile will have the printer name and the type of paper in it.

Read this <http://www.gballard.net/psd.html>

PS. HP makes crappy printers so you may never get a really good print.
ME
Mary_Ellen_Foster
Jan 21, 2007
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Buko.

I KNOW, everyone tells me HP makes crappy printers but I’ve always had good luck with them in the past and in fact, still use an oldie for quick jobs. I just decided to get this 9180 because I took a printing course where we used an Epson 2200 and the prints were not satisfactory. So when HP came out with this one, I jumped because I’m putting together a low budge exhibit and this one fit the price range. I will add that when I let the printer do all the manageing it does a nice job.

Thanks again,
Mary Ellen
B
Buko
Jan 21, 2007
we used an Epson 2200 and the prints were not satisfactory.

Then the system was not set up correctly.

I know I have a 2200
ME
Mary_Ellen_Foster
Jan 21, 2007
I’m sure you are right, but when you are taking a college level fine art printing course and the instructor can’t figure out how to correct color and just returned her own 2200 because of printing problems, then what do you do, come here and ask for help from knowledgable contributors like yourself. Speaking of which, I’m on the site you suggested and bought a book on color management.

Thanks again,
mef
R
Ram
Jan 22, 2007
taking a college level fine art printing course and the instructor can’t figure out how to correct color and just returned her own 2200 because of printing problems

Then it’s time for the college to look for a competent instructor, or for the students to look for a better college. :/

I also have an Epson 2200. In my opinion, anyone who can’t get acceptable prints from a 2200 has no business teaching anything that involves printing.
ME
Mary_Ellen_Foster
Jan 22, 2007
Really? That’s interesting to know as I have nothing to gauge this printing debacle. Other then my internet cyber pals, no one I know can help me with printing solutions. I picked this college because it’s convenient and close. The person at the college who maintains all the computers was stumped by the color shift. My instructor went around and around with the salesperson who sold her, her own 2200 without success and finally, Epson gave her credit and she upgraded to the 2300 or 2400. I’m not sure which one she purchased.

I guess I will need to put an Epson on my wish list. Any suggestions for a quality but affordable scanner? That is my next objective. I have a thousand old negatives I’d like to use.

I appreciate all the input.

Regards,
mef
R
Ram
Jan 22, 2007
Really?

Yes, really.

As for the scanner, look into the Epson Perfection 4490 PHOTO scanner [CLICK HERE] <URLhere> for $200.

I have no connection to Epson other than that of a satisfied customer.
R
Ram
Jan 22, 2007
The person at the college who maintains all the computers was stumped by the color shift.

That’s pathetic but par for the course for IT departments. :/

However, the Photoshop or graphics instructor should have no problem finding the cause.

See: <http://www.gballard.net/nca.html>
ME
Mary_Ellen_Foster
Jan 22, 2007
I have been on the gballard site and am doing my homework.

I received very helpful advice from Panos Efstathiadis at <http://www.panosfx.com> which has solved my immediate printing problem and now I need to learn what I am sure is apparent to other, I don’t understand color management, but soon . . . with a little help from my friends.

My printer is now giving me some nice stuff.

Thanks for the scanner advice, I will look into it. I have an Epson 1200 but it’s pretty old.

Best regards,
mef
R
Ram
Jan 22, 2007
I don’t understand color management

Neither does your instructor seem to. That’s a BIG problem.
ME
Mary_Ellen_Foster
Jan 23, 2007
But not insurmountable. Like the saying goes, if you want it done right, do it yourself and that is the reason I came to this forum searching for help.

Received and grateful,
mef

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections