Why do the colors in the ‘print preview’ not match the colors on the desktop?

Posted By
Apr 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using photoshop CS on a MAC OSX . Got the calibration OK, the print out pretty much matches the image on the desktop. And while I do plan to further tweak this, what’s bothering me more is the fact that the image on the ‘print preview’ does not match the image on the desktop. The colors are generally the same, for example deep pink vs. pale pink, but they don’t match. Why? I appreciate the help.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

GB
g_ballard
Apr 7, 2004
Print Preview is not color managed, I recall.
Use it for position only…

On the other hand, Photoshop Converts your document SourceSpace into your "calibrated" custom monitor profile.

Try PS> Image> Mode> Convert to Profile: custom monitor profile.

At that point Print Preview will match PS (unless PS’s been broken) because the converted SourceSpace=Monitor RGB (the custom monitor profile)…
GB
g_ballard
Apr 7, 2004
Color Management is all about Conversions (and good profiles).

Your question is a good one because it illustrates what happens when an application (or user) ignores an embedded profile — the color gets hosed.
R
Ram
Apr 7, 2004
BMC,

As g ballard points out, what you are seeing in normal. The preview is not color managed at all and is meant for positionin the iamge on the paper only.
Apr 8, 2004
Thank you, that’s one less thing to get bogged down with. Now I’ll make some images.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections