MN
Posted By
Mark_Nault
Oct 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have an Epson 1280 working with files from a Nikon D100. I’ve used Corel Photo Paint for several years with no print color matching problems. I’ve just purchased Elements and my greens are almost gray, reds are virtually unnoticeable, etc.. I take this same file, open and print it in Corel and the same thing happens. When I print a file that ws developed exclusively in Corel everything works fine. I have the Photoshop Elements color management turned on, using the latest Epson 1280 driver (That’s good ’cause Corel works). Need help – I really like all other aspects of this program over COrel but this is a real disappointment!

Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 20, 2003
Mark, try turning color management ‘ off ‘ in Elements. It has been a touchy subject on this forum because there are those who use it faithfully ( on ) and those ( such as myself and many others i know ) who get a much better print leaving it in the ‘off’ mode.
BB
brent_bertram
Oct 20, 2003
Regardless, of color management "off" or "on", Mark, you need to create an accurate profile for your display using the Adobe Gamma utility, or some other such utility. There is an excellent tutorial on the subject at <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/>.
By the way, I print (using color management and media profiles ) on the same printer . The print settings in the following tutorial work perfectly well, <G> < http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_print/ps7_print_mac_2.h tm> .

Come back with more questions if things go awry ( I hope that’s a word !).

🙂

Brent
MN
Mark_Nault
Dec 19, 2003
Brent,

Thanks. Your advice helped with all but one item.

Oddly enough, The only print matching problem I have now is with a particular series of landscape shots. The subject area is light beige to pink granite, evergreens, with a cirrus cloud and blue sky (Wichita Mountains in OK, if curious). I’ve attempted all combinations of color management, all with disappointing results. The evergreens are nearly gray, the rocks and cliffs are too red. Blues are good (dark blue water, medium sky).

This series of files were the first I attempted to print after I bought Photoshop. All other photos are print-matched to the montior. Thoughts?

V/R,

Mark Nault
BB
brent_bertram
Dec 19, 2003
What is your "Print Preview" setup ? If you use "Printer color Management" as the output space profile, then you should probably be using "color controls" in the Advanced settings of the Epson driver. Source space should be Adobe RGB or sRGB, depending upon your color management mode. Either one should print pretty accurately, but the AdobeRGB has a wider color gamut and will represent pastels better. Intent should probably be relative colorimetric, but "perceptual" might occasionally be a better choice.

🙂

Brent
S
Stanley
Dec 19, 2003
I recently purchased the Canon Digital rebel. Makes my 3 year old Kodak digital look like a box brownie (remember those)

Does anyone know of a plug in that will allow Elements work with the CRW (raw format). Canon tells me they do not know of any, suggest I contact Adobe.

Figured I would try here first.

Stan

PS….I promise after the first of the year I’ll get back to the challenges. Right now with the Holidays, helping to care for two grandchildren (age 2 and 5), having a bad cold and the other day twisting my knee.

Good thing with the kneww, it gives the grandkids a chance to hide grandpa’s cane so he can’t catch them GRIN
W
Woolie
Dec 20, 2003
I’m jealous! Those seem like really great cameras and I want one! Congrats on getting one and keep us informed as to how you like it. Karen

"Stanley" wrote in message
I recently purchased the Canon Digital rebel. Makes my 3 year old Kodak digital look like a box brownie (remember those)

Does anyone know of a plug in that will allow Elements work with the CRW (raw format). Canon tells me they do not know of any, suggest I contact Adobe.

Stan

PS….I promise after the first of the year I’ll get back to the challenges. Right now with the Holidays, helping to care for two grandchildren (age 2 and 5), having a bad cold and the other day twisting my knee.

Good thing with the kneww, it gives the grandkids a chance to hide grandpa’s cane so he can’t catch them GRIN

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.550 / Virus Database: 342 – Release Date: 12/9/2003
S
Stanley
Dec 20, 2003
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 09:13:55 -0600, "Woolie"
wrote:
I’m jealous! Those seem like really great cameras and I want one! Congrats on getting one and keep us informed as to how you like it. Karen
In three simple words " I LOVE IT" and will love it more as I learn what the camera can do.

The new camera has forced one change for me. Up until now, all my photos were filed on CD’s. The new digital rebel produces files around 6 meg each. I can see that starting in 2004, all photos will be filed to a DVD, The CD was rapidly running out of space.

Still hope someone will be able to answer my question (below)

"Stanley" wrote in message

J
JJ
Jan 16, 2004
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:30:17 -0500, Stanley
wrote:

Stan

Sorry Stanley – no good news for you 🙁 I have hidden away on a CD somewhere a copy of Adobe’s RAW and JPEG2000 plugin which I ‘acquired’ I had to use a hex editor to make it work with the 10D files though, not sure how you would need to change it for the 300D or even if it would work.

As far as I know, now that the plugin is included in CS, they don’t sell it separately anymore – and even paid for it wouldn’t work with the 300D/Rebel. It did work with Elements 2 and PS 7.1 for me using a D60 and 10D.

Perhaps someone else out there will know of another plugin you can get.

Another thought – I use Breezebrowser, have done for years because I hated the Canon Zoombrowser software. It is shareware but I have noticed that it has been updated to work with RAW files from the Digital Rebel

http://www.breezesys.com/

I also use his Downloader Pro all the time, it is great for renaming files to your particular requirement as it downloads from the card.

JJ

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections