Newbie question: how do I get colors on screen to match printed colors?

DG
Posted By
Doug Greenberg
Nov 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,
I am quite the amateur when it comes to using Photoshop. In fact, I only use Photoshop Elements and I’m pretty new even at using this more modest program. My current problem is that when I print digital photos, particularly those involving skin tones, what I get from my HP 930c printer is never quite the same as what I see on my monitor. The finished printed photos seem most often to be lacking in reds and in saturation overall. So I go to the "enhance" menu and I add more red and increase saturation. What I end up with on the screen looks ghastly, but by overcompensating in this manner I can (usually, and with some trial and error) get a satisfactory printed version.

It would be preferable (much) if I could somehow adjust what I have on the screen to match what I am getting from the printer. I know that there is a way to do this, but I can’t seem to figure it out.

What feature(s) of Photoshop Elements should I be using? Thanks for any and all suggestions and advice.

Doug Greenberg, Berkeley, California USA

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

S
Stuart
Nov 7, 2003
You want to search for colour management on the web, you will find lots of tutorials and in depth explanations. You have gone about it the wrong way but it is the obvious way that newbies find.

Stuart

Doug Greenberg wrote:

Hello,
I am quite the amateur when it comes to using Photoshop. In fact, I only use Photoshop Elements and I’m pretty new even at using this more modest program. My current problem is that when I print digital photos, particularly those involving skin tones, what I get from my HP 930c printer is never quite the same as what I see on my monitor. The finished printed photos seem most often to be lacking in reds and in saturation overall. So I go to the "enhance" menu and I add more red and increase saturation. What I end up with on the screen looks ghastly, but by overcompensating in this manner I can (usually, and with some trial and error) get a satisfactory printed version.

It would be preferable (much) if I could somehow adjust what I have on the screen to match what I am getting from the printer. I know that there is a way to do this, but I can’t seem to figure it out.

What feature(s) of Photoshop Elements should I be using? Thanks for any and all suggestions and advice.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections