MD
Posted By
mitchell_deoudes
Oct 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a way to prevent Photoshop from auto-raising windows when the window focus changes? The situation is this: I’m using Xmouse (from the Windows XP TweakUI tool), which move the window focus along with the mouse (unix-like behavior). Other applications seem to do the "correct" thing – i.e. accept focus, but leave the window order alone. However, Photoshop CS2 insists on auto-raising any window that receives focus – which means that the windows are constantly jumping around whenever I move my mouse across the screen.

This is driving me, in a word, batshit.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JJ
John Joslin
Oct 22, 2006
TweakUI is not supported by M$ and has been known to cause serious problems in Photoshop.
MD
mitchell_deoudes
Oct 22, 2006
I haven’t experienced anything more serious than this particular annoyance, thus far. If you’ve got any links to known occurrances of the issue, could you please post them? I’ve not been able to find much by googling.

It does seem to be a simple case of Photoshop doing the auto-raise itself when it receives the focus change. I’m pretty certain this is new to CS (possibly even CS2), as previous incarnations didn’t exhibit this behavior.

mitch

p.s. – microsoft seems to be still distributing tweakUI, as recently as a year ago: < http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppow ertoys.mspx>
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 22, 2006
TweakUI is not supported by M$

microsoft seems to be still distributing tweakUI, as recently as a year ago:

Right. There are several interpretations to "we don’t support it". As *I* understand it, that means "don’t ask us questions about it", not "we do not endorse it’s use".

I’ve had TweakUI on my system for… well, forever it seems without incident.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 22, 2006
TweakUI support is in the "don’t blame us if it blows up" category.
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
Oct 22, 2006
<There are several interpretations to "we don’t support it".>

Mine is "If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces."

I’ve not experienced TweakUI problems, either, but I’ve only used it to enable Windows AutoLogin. With XP, I now run "control userpasswords2".
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 23, 2006
TweakUI support is in the "don’t blame us if it blows up" category.

Sigh. That’s what I said.
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 23, 2006
Sigh. That’s what I said.

Not nearly as colorfully, Tony. <g>

Bob
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Oct 23, 2006
Mitchell,

I see what you mean. I’ve never used the X-mouse options for the reson I don’t like my windows popping up when I’m not really expecting them to, but the options enabled at the moment I almost find that I do like the behavior. I see that Tweakui for Windows XP had the option to enable/disable the autoraise option separately from having activation follow the mouse, yet just as you said, PS CS2 still autoraises the windows regardless of that option state. Comparing that to PS CS, in the latter, only the palettes seem to autoraise while stacked image windows do not. For PCS2, all windows appear to autoraise and I suspect that is the result of the GUI design changes Adobe made in PS CS2, such as now allowing the workspace to be "rolled up". I don’t see any solution to making PS CS2 behave as other Windows apps do.

Regards,

Daryl

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections