PW
Posted By
Phil_Whall
Feb 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Help! I have osx 10.2 and on installing the elements 2.0 (2.0.2)software. On clicking the program icon once it has all been loaded onto my hard drive, I get the error message "an unexpected and unrecoverable problem has occured because of a program error. Photoshop will now exit. I am not tech literate, so please keep it simple…

Any ideas? The software is brand new, and I have done nothing fancy with the Mac! Thanks Phil

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 15, 2004
When we the last time you did system maintenance? I have in mind particularly running Repair Permissions. I haven’t ever heard of this specific message before, but here lately I’ve been doing a Repair Permissions BEFORE I install new software, too, if it’s been a while since it was run. I know OS X has cleared up a lot of problems with stability, but in order to run smoothly it demands that everything be kept in top flight condition.

I’m not at all sure this is the problem, but it’s a good place to start. If your system has had recent, thorough, maintenance and you’re getting this message in spite of it, repost and we’ll try to think of something else.
PW
Phil_Whall
Feb 15, 2004
Thanks for the tip. I have run repair disk permissions on the disk utility. It seemed to fix a large number of permissions, but unfortunately even when I then dragged the entire elements folder to trash, and then reinstalled from the start, I got the same message. Part of me says – "this is probably an interesting problem"…..but most of me is saying "I want to get this sorted….yesterday!!". Any further suggestions are much appreciated. Phil. (I run the disk first aid on "mackintosh HD", which I presume is correct.)
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 15, 2004
When you uninstalled, did you also trash the Elements Preference folder? That has to be done manually. As a matter of fact, look for it in your Users Library right now and move it to the trash if you find one. Then click on Elements again and see what happens. My guess by now is "nothing good", but it won’t hurt to try.

I’m not having much luck at troubleshooting today, so I think I’m out of ideas. My own computer is being obnoxious at the moment, too. 🙁
PW
Phil_Whall
Feb 18, 2004
Hi Beth – i am now in communication with adobe support – we are at stage of installing update to os x 10.2…. to 10.2.something so perhaps that will work. I’ll let you know anyway how I get on.

Phil
PW
Phil_Whall
Feb 18, 2004
Hurrah – upgrading to 10.2.8 seems to have done the trick. i am very grateful to you for spending time to help me out though.

Thanks

Phil
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 18, 2004
What had you been at, Phil? I was at 10.2.8, and then I backed down to 10.2.6 again. Of course I’m not too sure why, but that’s another issue. 🙂
PW
Phil_Whall
Feb 23, 2004
I was on 10.2… so up to 10.2.8 seems to have swept out the gremlins.

I am now happily getting to grips with layers, drop shadows, etc.

Phil

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections