LO
Posted By
Lee_Olson
Sep 14, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to create a shadow and the first step I learned is turning your selection black. Only problem is, I forgot how to do that. Can someone please help this newbie.

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 14, 2006
Make your selection, make sure the background colour is black. Hit Delete
B
Buko
Sep 15, 2006
or

command click the layer make a new layer.

fill the selection with black
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 15, 2006
If you want to ensure that your Black is 100% K (and not a Rich Black), you need to do this in a CMYK file.
JS
John_Slate
Sep 15, 2006
A little more info about what you are trying to accomplish will help us help you
LO
Lee_Olson
Sep 15, 2006
Thanks everyone.

Sorry, John, I thought what I posted was enough.

A couple weeks ago I learned that one way to create a shadow of something you have selected was to make a duplicate layer of your selection, then hit Command S (or whatever – that’s not the correct key stroke) which would turn your selection black. You then use the Transform tool to lay it on it’s side, use the Feather Tool to soften edges, then the Gradient tool with black, with another layer, to fade shadow to be stronger at the selection base and fading to nothing at the far end etc. I remember the whole process but the key stroke which will turn the selection black.

I may have remembered it wrong and maybe Cybernetic or Buko are suggesting the step I forgot and I’m just not remembering. I have learned so much by teraching myself PS that unless I use what I have learned right away I tend to forget a step or two.

Did that explanation help you understand what I am doing more?
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 15, 2006
Hey Lee,
I’m not positive I understand exactly but it seems to me that you don’t need to turn anything to black because you are creating a shadow with a feathered mask and the gradient tool.

If I’m correct you only need to create a layer to put the gradient. For the Gradient the values must be cmy0 and varying values of k for the background and foreground.

alan
ML
Mark_Larsen
Sep 15, 2006
Lee, what you are after sounds like the way I done this for years (old dog no new tricks). Set foreground colour to 100k or what ever you want, dupe your layer, select the layer below, click the "lock transparent pixels" button, now use keyboard "alt+delete", then un-click the "lock transparent pixels" button, then fudge, smudge, and the rest of your stuff…
B
Buko
Sep 15, 2006
A shadow made from all the colors (CMYK) looks much better than a shadow just made from 100% black.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 15, 2006
"A shadow made from all the colors (CMYK) looks much better than a shadow just made from 100% black. "

Not in my experience. I think every prepress and printer I’ve know prefers 1 color shadows to avoid a "rainbow" effect. You only need to be sure there is enough common black between the shadow and image so there isn’t a trapping problem.

alan
ML
Mark_Larsen
Sep 15, 2006
Makes things easy when trapping out in addition spot channels too. I prefer dealing single black overprinting the PMS.
LO
Lee_Olson
Sep 15, 2006
That was it, Mark. Thanks.

Thank you to everyone else, also. Good information in my never ending quest to learn this program.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 15, 2006
Single color black.

Black dominant 4 color black

or

a double hit black.
B
Buko
Sep 15, 2006
Black dominant 4 color black

will look more real with a 4 color image
JS
John_Slate
Sep 16, 2006
So the answer had nothing to do with selections at all, as I suspected.

That’s why I asked for clarification.
PT
Phil_Taz
Sep 17, 2006
A shadow made from only black might have dots of 15% black which look poor compared to a rich black shadow which might have 4C 3M 0Y 6K or something like that. The eye cannot see individual halftone dots, giving a superior appearance…

Browse a few high-end books, you will see the difference, and it actually causes no trapping issues whatsoever….in fact a plain black would be more risky, the cyan in the pic will blend with the cyan in the shadow to avoid aliasing of the shadow.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections