GH
Posted By
Geoffrey_Hervey
Dec 10, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I will sometimes crop an image beyond the borders of the image in order to make the final dimensions of the image fit the paper, etc. When I do this, the default color for the "empty areas," that is, the new part of the canvas that does not include any portion of the image, is white. I cannot recall how to make that black instead. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 10, 2006
Make your background color black first.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 10, 2006
Make your background colour black.

Press D and then X.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 10, 2006
Snap!
GH
Geoffrey_Hervey
Dec 12, 2006
No, that’s not it. My background color is black. If I draw the crop marks inside the image, then drag the crop marks outside of the image, then crop, the part that was outside the image is white, regardless of whether my background color is white, black, purple or some other color. I have done this before, and I know that it is simple, I just can’t remember that it was. Any other ideas? I am missing something simple.
C
chrisjbirchall
Dec 12, 2006
Try "resetting" the tool from the Options Bar fly-out menu.
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 12, 2006
Naw Geoffrey, John and Ed are right. When I follow your procedure, I get black or white depending on what my background is set to, including purple.

Does it change if you change foreground color?
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 12, 2006
You may be confusing the background in the image with the background colour in the Toolbox. See below:

<http://imageshack.us>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections