Posted By
Susan_Meyers
Sep 12, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Adobe Photoshop CS2
I have an assignment in a Distance Learning course to print a help topic. Easy enough. But the assignment also says to print the help topic to a file. When I choose the File, Print, Print to File box, name the file … then go back and look at the file it created, Photoshop returns the message "Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop Document".

What am I doing wrong? How do I print the help topic as a file?

Thank you.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 12, 2006
Photoshop returns the message "Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop Document".

Why would you consider opening a help topic (a text file) in Photoshop in the first place?

You cannot open a non-image file in photoshop. If I read what you’ve done correctly, you’ve created a PRN file. This is a special file that has coding specifically for the printer it was supposed to print to.

The value of the PRN file is to take that file to another printer, presumably the same mfr/model on another computer, and drop it on that printer, thus allowing it to print. Other than that, there’s no use for it as far as I can see.

What it sounds like you want to do is this: Add a New Printer to Printers and Faxes that Prints ASCII text. Then, choose that as your print device when you print your help topic.

The basic steps are, open Printers and Faxes, then using the wizard, add a new local printer. In the second screen when it asks for the Port, choose FILE. Then in the next screen choose Generic/Text Only for the printer.

When you print your help topic, you choose that new textonly printer and you will be prompted for a filename. The resulting file will be placed in c:\documents and settings\<your user name>.

Peace,
Tony

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections