MH
Posted By
Marvin Horlick
Sep 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello. As a test I scanned a color photo at 300 dpi and 600 dpi. When I open the photo in elements version 2.0 and click print size, it shows both photos as the same print size on screen. And it even prints it at the same size (4 x 6). Does elements automatically resize to a default print size no matter what the scan resolution? Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

PG
Peter Gaunt
Sep 2, 2003
In article , Marvin Horlick
wrote:

Hello. As a test I scanned a color photo at 300 dpi and 600 dpi. When I open the photo in elements version 2.0 and click print size, it shows both photos as the same print size on screen. And it even prints it at the same size (4 x
6). Does elements automatically resize to a default print size no matter what
the scan resolution? Thanks!

Ah, but the 600dpi photo was printed at twice the resolution (assuming the printer could cope which it probably couldn’t).

The 600dpi scan has four times as many pixels as the 300dpi scan. If you look at the file size it should be four times as big (if it’s saved uncompressed). What PE2 does when you view at print size is to take into account the dpi setting which is stored in the file. So, it’ll say ‘ah-ha, this image is 1800 pixels wide and is meant to print at 600 dpi. I will therefore print it 3 inches wide’. For the smaller file it will say ‘this image is 900 pixels wide and is meant to print at 300 dpi. I will therefore print it 3 inches wide’.

Try changing the resolution of the 600dpi image to 300dpi /without/ resampling. PE2 will then reckon the 1800 pixel wide image should print 6 inches wide.

Hope that makes some kind of sense. I’m very tired and can’t think quite straight.
MH
Marvin Horlick
Sep 3, 2003
Peter,

Thank you! It makes sense. – Marvin
MH
Marvin Horlick
Sep 3, 2003
This is just a test to see if I get email notification when a message is posted to the forum. – Marvin
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 3, 2003
Marvin, if you’re going to get e-mail notification any time something is posted in the forum, you’re gonna get a LOT of e-mails… The daily digest is a good alternative that doesn’t clog your mailbox. Just a thought…

Chuck
MH
Marvin Horlick
Sep 3, 2003
Chuck – Yes. I noticed I got lots and lots of messages. I switched to just the daily digest. Thanks! – Marvin

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections