JS
Posted By
Joao_Short
Jan 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Want to know whether Adobe has (or is planning to make available) a plug-in as this format, being the new industry standard, has better compression so giving a better image with almost the same file size.

Await for a prompt answer

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 27, 2004
Joao

It is built into Elements as part of their normal file handling routines. Well Elements 2 that is.

Grant
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 27, 2004
Grant,

I have PSE2, but see no reference to JPEG 2000 in either my File-Open, or Save As dialogues.

Does PSE2 open the format, but not save in it?

Byron
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 27, 2004
Byron, it’s a Save As choice in my PE2, the next item after standard JPEG.

Chuck
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 27, 2004
Byron, come to think of it, there may be a plug-in for JPEG 2000 found on the Adobe site. You may need that to get the choice. Not sure where it resides…

Chuck
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 27, 2004
Chuck,

My PE2 Save As list goes:

….
Photoshop EPS (*.EPS)
JPEG (*.JPG, *.JPEG, *.JPE)
PCX (*.PCX)
….

Byron
BD
b_denis
Jan 27, 2004
This plugin works good for me
<http://www.fnordware.com/j2k/>

It’s free
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 27, 2004
My pudding mind …. it is been so long since I have installed Elements I have forgotten a thing or two. It is true that elements does come with the ability to save and restore JPG2000 it is not an automatic thing. You have to install this action. Go to Files >Online Services …. and follow the directions to install it. Sorry for that slip of memory.

g.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 27, 2004
So how do you use this new format? Can you just distribute these files like other JPEG images, or does the recipient have to have something special in order to use JPEG 2000 files?
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 27, 2004
Grant,

That was the trick!!

Thank you.

Byron, with JPEG 2000 capabilities now.
BD
b_denis
Jan 27, 2004
You’ll need something, such as the Element Plugin, to decode the file. My Internet Explorer does not display j2k files, and MS office won’t support them.
-bruce
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 27, 2004
I’m not trying to be sarcastic. I am asking this as a legitimate question. I am so far behind the times that I hadn’t even heard of JPEG 2000 until today. But it was stated earlier in this thread that JPEG 2000 is now "the standard" for JPEG images. If that is the case, yet nothing will open the images without a special decoder, how can it be considered the standard and what are the advantages of using it?
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 27, 2004
"But it was stated earlier in this thread that JPEG 2000 is now "the standard" for JPEG images."

Ah we should have nipped that one in the but JPEG 2000 is a good thing whose time has not come.

g.
BD
b_denis
Jan 27, 2004
It’s not the new standard, but it is nice. You may choose to use j2k within your own work flow. You can choose a lossless compression file; it’s larger than lossy files, but the quality is very nice. Lossy compression is greatly improved over the old jpeg implementation. I made 300:1 ratio and still got pretty darn nice looking files.
If you want to email, post, or adjust your image just re-save it in a suitable format and preserve only the original. Same thing you probably do now.
I encourage you to try it. Let us know what you think about it. -bruce

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections