JR
Posted By
Jamie_R_Johnson
Aug 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have 2 duotone images created in Photoshop and linked into an Illustrator file to create a book cover. We have moved the book to a different printer and they need the cover to be CMYK. When I change the mode in Photoshop from Duotone to CMYK it changes some areas to gray and does not retain any of the pantone color in those areas. Can anyone tell me how to get the duotone to change to CMYK and still look the same?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 24, 2004
Try converting first to RGB and then to CMYK.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 24, 2004
it depends on what colors make up the duotone.
JS
John_Slate
Aug 25, 2004
Define "gray".

If by that you mean the color becomes duller, then you may be dealing with an out-of-gamut PMS color (which defines a large percentage of PMS colors) being brought into your CMYK space in accordance with your rendering intent.

This is unavoidable.

However you might like the results better if you:

Choose mode>multichannel.

In the resulting black channel window (here I assume black is one of your colors) select all, and copy.

Open a new document, changing the mode to CMYK, target the black channel and paste.

Then go back to the channel window for thew PMS color in the multichannel file and select all, and copy.

In the new doc use the channels palette flyout to add a new spot channel in the appropriate PMS color, and paste.

Now in the channels palette flyout, choose "merge spot channel".

This bypasses color management and instead of using the Lab values of the PMS color to derive the CMYK numbers, uses the generic CMYK values provided by Pantone.

Your mileage may vary.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections