simon_biddell
Mar 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello

Most of my work is print output.

Would experienced PS users recommend doing any colour correction etc in rgb before converting to cmyk or convert to cmyk first?

Thanks for your help.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

GH
Gary_Hummell
Mar 3, 2004
For routine correction of good images, you will save time by simply editing in the CMYK color space. Probably the best discussion I have read about taking advantage of all of the color spaces with an eye toward a CMYK output is:
Professional Photoshop by Dan Margulis.
I would consider it an intermediate to advanced book. While it is not a huge book, Margulis packs a lot of information in each chapter.

Gary
J
JasonSmith
Mar 3, 2004
I would recommend color correction in RGB, softproofing in CMYK so you have an idea of what final output is.

When possible, I leave the file in RGB and let the RIP’s CM do the RGB>CMYK conversion.
PF
Peter_Figen
Mar 3, 2004
Even though most of your work is for print, there are many different types of print output, each of which require a different type of file preparation, sometimes vastly different.

Doing your basic color and tonal correction in RGB is not only easier, it makes more sense in the long run. Your RGB "master" file can then be used to convert to any number of RGB or CMYK output targets, with final tweaks to the files done after conversion to CMYK.

If you know that you’re only going to print to one printer, and nothing about that process is ever going to change – the proofing system, the inks, the press operator, etc. – then, by all means, do all your work in CMYK, but try and respect the ink limits.
SJ
Sandy_J
Mar 3, 2004
Leave the file in RGB and let the RIP’s CM do the RGB>CMYK conversion.

I’ve always been told NEVER to do that, and I make sure advertisers supply all ads with everything CMYK.

So Jason, where in St Pete?
RL
Robert_Levine
Mar 3, 2004
Never is a bit too broad, but for most, CMYK is better.

That said, there are some very advanced RGB workflows but they require custom color profiles for every device in the chain, from scanners and monitors all the way up to the presses.

Bob
J
JasonSmith
Mar 3, 2004
Our situation here may be a little unique: All of our presses have a wider gamut than the standard CMYK setup.

So if the file is converted with SWOP or another canned profile, we are in fact squashing colors that our presses can hit.

If a CMYK file is supplied to me that needs color correction, I’ll go so far as to convert back to RGB to get builds that wouldnt be achievable in CMYK mode.

Then leave the file in RGB, and let our profiles decide what is and isnt in gamut.

Converting to CMYK before it gets sent to the printer is standard practice, but it isnt neccesarily the best thing to do with the image. Everything has to be taken in account for, color settings have to reflect a specific environment. There is not one CMYK conversion that will work for all environments.

Most printers could handle RGB files, and they would be better off for it – but are either too lazy to update their workflow or too scared something in the system is going to break. Usually that’s a sign that they truly dont understand their setup. If it ‘works’ why mess with it?

"So Jason, where in St Pete?"

Born downtown (St Anthony’s), live almost downtown. Work in Clearwater.
SJ
Sandy_J
Mar 3, 2004
With a press setup like that, you probably work for EvaTone. (Or possibly Interprint, Precision Litho or Roberts.) Do I get a doorprize?

I used to live closer to the beach, near Stetson. Worked in Clearwater also, dealt primarily with Precision Litho for 4-c work. Funny to find a local. On the PageMaker forum the regulars are from the UK, Australia, Puerto Rico, far away.
J
JasonSmith
Mar 3, 2004
Nope- no EvaTone. We are a startup company – with more printers/presses than employees!

I have lots of really cool toys around me – and I’m the only one who knows how to use them, so I have them all to myself %D
SJ
Sandy_J
Mar 3, 2004
Aren’t you a lucky one. Like a kid in a candy shop.
<‘http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008‘>
CW
Colin_Walls
Mar 3, 2004
Simon

Just wondering …

Most of my work is print output

You do mean that you’re sending it out to a print shop, don’t you?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections