Posted By
Martin_Jewiss
Oct 6, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi All,

I have been supplied a greyscale jpeg image that has to be used in a 2 colour print job. Even though the image is greyscale, when I move the Eyedropper over the image, the colour information is in CMYK (C=38 M=31 Y=31 K=0). Sure enough when I preview using Proof Setup, I’ve got information on the C, M, and Y plates but nothing on the K plate.

I have to prepare this image for a 2 colour print job so the C, M, and Y colour information must be converted to K (it doesn’t matter if the final grey is not the same shade as the original, as long as it’s grey). Unfortunately I can’t work out how to do this.

I’ve tried selecting the grey areas, creating an Alpha channel and filling with black but, of course, I loose the anti-aliasing around the edge of the image. So any other ideas will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Martin

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Oct 6, 2006
Change color mode to duotone.
BJ
Bob_Janusz
Oct 6, 2006
Start with a cmyk doc and fill the k channel with the greyscale. Or, convert the greyscale to cmyk > channel mixer > monochrome. Or……
PF
Peter_Figen
Oct 6, 2006
If you truly have a grayscale image, there will be only one channel. Look at your channels palette to be sure. You most likely also have your Info Palette set to read CMYK, regardless of what your image data actually is.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections