E
Posted By
ETCulling
Aug 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My CMYK conversions don’t seem to match the originals closely at all. I was told that they won’t necessarily look the same when viewing them on the monitor. If that is the case how will I know if I’m giving the printer the correct colors. The photos are of granite memorial markers for a brochure and they have to be not only correct but as similiar as possible to the website.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
(PS-CS)
Eleanor

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 9, 2004
Others may have different/better advice but…

If your monitor is calibrated, and you are using a color space that adquately represents the intended output (CMYK), you can get a reasonable idea of how it will look when you send it to the printer. Depending on how many brochures that you are going to print, you might consider getting the printer to do a proof.

As far as I know, the color number you give them is what they will produce, the question would be, is your color representation accurate? To get "dead on" color matching, especially when converting is an art and a science and the goal of many professionals.

If it were me, I would convert the image to CMYK and work/tweak that, having one destined for commercial printing and one for screen. Also bear in mind that web representations don’t incorporate color management so, what someone sees when viewing your image on a Mac (with a monitor gamma of 1.8 ) versus what someone sees on a windows maching (with a monitor gamma of 2.2) will be different. So I’m not 100% convinced that you can use web representation as the "target", if you catch my meaning.

My two cents anyhow…

Peace,
Tony
TK
Trista_Kobluskie
Aug 9, 2004
Eleanor,

You’ve touched on what is arguably the most complicated topic in the world of digital imaging – color management. An easy solution to your problem is likely to be elusive.

My two cents:

To add to Tony’s advice, try setting your Proof Setup to "Working CMYK" (in CS under View > Proof Setup > Working CMYK). Then use View > Proof Color (in CS) to get a better idea what your pictures will look like when printed. And definitely order a proof from your printer.

Just keep in mind that if your capture device and monitor have not been color profiled, then any color matching you try will be iffy. And, as Tony said, matching to a web image will almost surely produce poor results at the printer. Try to find something more reliable to match to – like a print that looks good or something.

Good luck!
Trista
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Aug 9, 2004
Soft proof would have showed you more accurately what to expect on press. RGB can reproduce far more saturated hues than ink on paper can and softproof demonstrates these differences as long as you have an accurate profile of your press.

This article explains it further:

<http://www.creativepro.com/author/home/40.html>
JS
John_Slate
Aug 9, 2004
I don’t suppose out-of-gamut colors could be a problem with granite…?

As far as matching a website goes… matching a website based on what comparison? Viewed on whose monitor?

If you think about that for a minute you will realize it is an impossible task.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections