Posted By
ftpftpftp
Jan 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Perhaps someone could let me know if this will solve my problem:

I have a client who designed a flyer in Microsoft Publisher 2002, and using Acrobat 6.0 printed it to PDF.

I need to take this file to an offset printer, but do not have Quite software’s "Quite a box of tricks" or Pitstop, which I could use to convert the file to CMYK.

Can I open the file in Photoshop, change the setting to CMYK and then save it as a PDF again, thereby converting the document to CMYK?

I tried it, and it seems to do the job.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

Jody

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

T
tacitr
Jan 26, 2004
Can I open the file in Photoshop, change the setting to CMYK and then save it as a PDF again, thereby converting the document to CMYK?

If you do that, the PDF will be unprintable. Separating the entire PDF in Photoshop will cause black text and other elements to separate to 4-color black–that is, the black text will have cyan, magenta, yellow,a nd black inks in it, which is not what you want. The PDF will also be "rasterized" (broken up into pixels), which means that the type and logos will not print smoothly.

You need to do one of three things:

1. Use Enfocus PitStop, Quite a Box of Tricks, or some other PDF tool to separate the images in the PDF; or

2. Have your client pull his head out of his ass, separate the RGB images to CMYK, place the CMYK images in Publisher, and create the PDF properly; or

3. Have your service bureau use in-RIP separation (if they have a Level 3 PostScript RIP) to separate the RGB images to CMYK. (This works, but does not exactly produce stellar results. Most in-RIP separation isn’t the best.)

This would be a wonderful industry if it weren’t for the clients… 🙂

Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections