Posted By
Robert_J._Miller
Aug 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I am a marine biologist working on encrusting animals and algae that live on rock surfaces underwater. One of the common techniques used in our field is to photograph specified areas of rock over time or in different places and compare the abundances of these organisms in terms of percent cover, which is commonly estimated by counting whatever is under 100 (or 200 or 400, say) randomly positioned dots placed on the slide. In the past I have projected slides onto large poster-sized printouts of the dots (open circles), which I generate using the random number generator in Excel (I plot the numbers as a scatterplot, shaped to fit the dimensions of 35mm film slides). I use different sets of random dots for different times etc., to keep it random. if say 10 dots fall on barnacle X, then it’s counted as 10% cover (with 100 dots).

Now I am shifting to doing this on the computer with digital photos. A friend has been doing this for some time, and what he’s doing is rather crude – generating the dots the same way I am, printing them out on acetate, and taping the acetate to the computer screen! I would like to be able to open the excel plot as a layer over the slide in photoshop. I have attempted to do this, but the results are crappy – I can’t see the dots very well at all.

Does anyone have advice on how this could be done elegantly? (or at all?) I much appreciate any replies.

Thanks!
Bob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Aug 20, 2004
See if this sends you in the right direction:

<http://www.reindeergraphics.com/iptk/>
CS
Carl_Stawicki
Aug 21, 2004
Maybe you can just use a screen shot of the Excel chart, which of course, can be opened in PS and overlayed onto the slide. This is at lease a little less crude than the acetate.

Carl.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Aug 21, 2004
Phosphor is in the right direction, as usual. A small refinement of his suggestion is the software package Fovea Pro.

<http://www.reindeergraphics.com/foveapro/>

It contains a feature measurement aspect…

<http://www.reindeergraphics.com/foveapro/measure.shtml>
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 21, 2004
Either a screen shot or a digital photo of each RNUM plot can be saved as a layer in a PS file. Once these files are saved at the appropriate size you can just drag and drop the RNUM plot of choice as a new layer on to any image file you open.

You could enlarge your images any amount to faciltate i.d.
B
Buko
Aug 22, 2004
Be sure to get the water resistant version of photoshop. B)
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 22, 2004
Note that with your RNUM layer as the top layer and selected you could use the arrow keys to nudge the layer (e.g. 3 clicks up then 3 clicks back down). The movement would make your RNUM circles easier to see against the reef background when counting.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 23, 2004
If all you need is a percentage of coverage, and if the organisms have a different color than the rest, you need to select one organism with the magic wand, with "contiguous" unselected. This way, you get all the organisms in one shot. (You might also use select>color range as an alternative)

Now that you have a selection, go to image>histograms, and look at the pixel count.

Write it down. Do a select>all (Command+A) and go to the histogram again. You now have the total number of pixels, enough to calculate the percentage!

But the Fovea Pro seems a must have for professional use!
RJ
Robert_J._Miller
Aug 25, 2004
Thank you everyone! This has been a tremendous help, and I am going to get some of the software suggested (The Imaging toolbox probably – Fovea is too expensive for me right now). I can’t believe I haven’t found this software before. The screenshot solution is also a great suggestion, and I will be using that for the time being.
Bob Miller

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections