L
Posted By
Lundberg02
Sep 9, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This may be heresy, but I used Visio often at a previous employer and liked it. I’m wondering if there’s a similar app for the Mac that saves in PS compatible formats.
I think Visio has moved on with newer versions that support business process charting into XML thatcan be compiled in Java somehow. I don’t need anything that sophisticated, at least not right now.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

L
Lundberg02
Sep 9, 2006
Maybe OmniGraffle is what I need?
CS
Carl_Stawicki
Sep 9, 2006
Look into ConceptDraw.

<http://www.conceptdraw.com/>
TT
Toby_Thain
Sep 9, 2006
I’ve heard Inkscape <http://www.inkscape.org/> described as a cross-platform alternative to Visio. Looks like fun, actually – I’ll be trying it out as a common diagramming tool for our development teams (Visio useless being Windows only).
L
Lundberg02
Sep 9, 2006
I wanted to try out ask.com, so I did a search in it for Visio alternatives and got about eight instances of ConceptDraw. None of the sites worked.
I just downloaded inkscape .44 and will try it later. I may just go ahead and buy OmniGraffle 4.1.2 fo 80 bucks and upgrade to Pro if my son/boss will pay for the upgrade.

Now my question is: what’s so ——- great about ask.com? Other than category search, what’s the big deal?
P
peterpica
Sep 10, 2006
<http://www.conceptdraw.com/en/products/cd5/main.php>

I know this is working; I just got my upgrade to 6.1.
L
Lundberg02
Sep 11, 2006
Thanks. I didn’t see an expanded description link. The list of features seems ok. I suppose the standard version doesn’t export to Visio.

I went into the OmniGraffle forum and it seems like the OG has some problems, in particular you can not export masters to Visio using vdx( whatever the heck that means).
I’m going to try it on the 24 hr trial anyway.
Also going to try Inkscape.
Just trying to a complex workflow with a lot of loops.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 11, 2006
Omnigraffe is a very nice application. You also have (like with the game Sims and other apps I assume) a large online group that create freeware and shareware objects to add to the Omnigraffe library.

I never had a problem with a Visio person opening a vdx file (x is probably to signify exchange of some sort). Perhaps once you open the vdx file in Visio there is a way to create a master–lets hope so.

alan
L
Lundberg02
Sep 12, 2006
Inkscape has powerful tools, especially for block diagrams. However, you can’t print except to a postscript printer or by using ps2pdf, and you can’t Copy>Paste. There are also problems with text.

Verdict: Useless. Wait for the integer ver. It is currently in v.44

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections