E
Posted By
exingo
Dec 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just looking to see what is out there. What filters/plugins, 3rd party applications do you feel are a must have.

Free or for a fee.

Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RL
Robert_Levine
Dec 6, 2003
Depends on what you’re doing with Photoshop.

Bob
E
exingo
Dec 6, 2003
Mainly image manipulation and web stuff.
T
Terrat
Dec 7, 2003
Extingo,
What specific purpose do you need a specific filter for?

Example, Portraits require detail in faces, good lighting, backgrounds, frames, and sharpeners and correct colours for skin tones etc.

Cartoonists use the lineart type filters such as cutout in Photoshop or Buzz, a 3rd party.

Cubists can use the extrude/ps filter or Kai’s Power tools.

Google is your best bet. Find a site that describes all of the 3rd party filters and see which ones are compatible with your PS version that you might need. Go to the site that puts it out to see the particulars, examples, etc.

You don’t need any filters for image manipulation. That’s what photoshop or any editing program is for. And "web stuff" just means that you are rendering at 72ppi and doesn’t say what you are looking for.

Filters really "put the boots to your images" and are best used judiciously" and only on dupes of the original.

Always take a look at your histogram after applying one. Notice gaps and spikes. This is missing pixel colours and other degradation to the original pixels.
E
exingo
Dec 7, 2003
I would mainly be doing stuff like what you said

"Portraits require detail in faces, good lighting, backgrounds, frames, and sharpeners and correct colours for skin tones etc."

I know that is what PS is for, I have just seen ads in the past for 3rd party programs that make things easier like things that Extensis sells.

Intersting about the histogram, didn’t know that. So gaps are missing pixel colors, what are the spikes?

Thanks!
L
LenHewitt
Dec 7, 2003
Exingo,

So gaps are missing pixel colors, what are the spikes?<<

Putting it crudely, the height of the ‘spike’ indicates the percentage of the image that is that specific colour or ‘brightness level’ (depending upon whether you are looking at a single channel or the composite)
BO
Burton_Ogden
Dec 7, 2003
Exingo,

If your source images are from a digital camera or, as in my case, from a digital video camcorder, you need a third party plug-in or standalone application to deal with amplification noise, CCD artifacts and, in some cases, with in-camera JPEG artifacts. Neat Image is very good for that, as you can see by exploring at:

<http://www.neatimage.com/examples.html>

The focus on my images is never perfect for one reason or another. Maybe the camera moved or the subject moved or the autofocus wasn’t perfect. It is commonly believed that you can’t fix an out-of-focus image, but that isn’t strictly true. Focus Magic uses a mathematical process called deconvolution to reverse the process of defocusing an image to a certain degree. I find that refocusing the image is preferable to using Photoshop’s Unsharp Mask because USM works just on edges and Focus Magic works on the entire image. For more information, explore at:

<http://www.focusmagic.com/examplefocusing.htm>

I first use Neat Image to clean up an image and then use Focus Magic to improve its focus. Then I continue in Photoshop to upsample the image with help from Genuine Fractals. And I do the usual Photoshop image improvement stuff before making prints from the video frame grabs. I routinely do that to all of my video frame grabs. For that reason I consider both Neat Image and Focus Magic to be indispensible.

— Burton — (not associated with Neat Image or Focus Magic)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections