MR
Posted By
Mark_Rathwell
Jan 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Tonight, I seem to have wrecked Photoshop Elements 2.

I got sent a PSD file via my Mac OS X Mail program (Mail 1.3.2). I saved the file to a desktop folder. For some reason, the Mac OS X (Panther) Preview Program was set to open the file by default. Because I wanted to open the file in Photoshop Elements, I right clicked on the icon, selected OPEN WITH and chose Photoshop Elements.

Photoshop Elements 2 started launching and then I got this message:

"The application "Photoshop Elements" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "%<application><application><MathLib><>""

I thought: "Hmm … that’s strange!"

I tried launching Photoshop Elements on its own to open the file from within the app. Same message.

Then I tried deleting the PLIST file for Photoshop Elements from my preferences folder and launching Photoshop Elements. Same message.

I tried rebooting and launching. Same message.

Using the OPEN WITH command, I was able to get the PSD file to open up in Corel PHOTO-PAINT 11 as well as PAINTER 8. No problems with either.

But getting the PSD to open in Photoshop Elements? Youch – I can’t even get it to launch.

Any suggestions?

Mark

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NS
Nancy_S
Jan 20, 2004
Mark,

First let me assure you I am not familiar with Macs, but in Windoze I would be thinking that you had recently deleted some program which deleted some shared files, or you installed something which overwrote the version of a file which PSE needs. Have you done any installs/uninstalls recently?
MR
Mark_Rathwell
Jan 20, 2004
Actually – I haven’t done any installs or uninstalls recently. I also tried repairing my permissions and it didn’t make a difference. I ended up having to uninstall and reinstall Photoshop Elements 2.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 20, 2004
Mark, did you repair permissions before and after installing PE? I would run fsck, for sure, in your situation. Hopefully things will be fine now, but shared library errors are often a first sign of larger directory problems.

I hope you don’t have disk doctor or systemworks installed on your computer. If you do, it would be a very good idea to trash it immediately. It wrecks more computers in X than anything else does.

If you get the error again, run disk repair from your X install cd. If that doesn’t do it, you probably ought to invest in a copy of disk warrior, which is often able to fix damage when nothing else can.
MR
Mark_Rathwell
Jan 20, 2004
Hi there,

I did repair the permissions and it didn’t make a difference. I uninstalled then reinstalled PE2 but didn’t run the permissions after the fact.

I don’t have Disk Doctor or System Works but will try to avoid it now. 😉

Thanks for the tip of using the install CD.
RC
Richard_Coencas
Jan 20, 2004
Mark,
Did you try deleting prefs?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections