Posted By
tkeiger
Aug 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PS 7 on a 1.25 dual G4, OS X.02
I batch process large numbers of images from high res tifs to low res jpegs. I’ve had an ongoing problem with not all of the images being processed.

Anyone else experienced this? What’s causing it and how to prevent?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

8thNote
Aug 10, 2004
Yes.

But can you be a little more specific? How are the images "not being processed"? Are there any error messages? Does your batch have errors in the log? What is the batch not doing?

You could have missing steps from your batch or you could be encountering a very annoying bug that makes PS7 not batch save files with names longer than 32 characters (stone-age problem. Not sure about CS yet).
T
tkeiger
Aug 10, 2004
No error logs whatsoever….the generated text file is simply " Start Batch End Batch "

As for "not being processed" I mean exactly that….. I’ll have a folder of say (in the latest occurance) 6 tifs to resize and convert to jpegs and save to a different folder. 5 process and are saved properly to the other folder and one does not.

It’s not a file name issue – in this last batch, all images were no more than 10 letters long. And this is an action that I use frequently without incident, so I’m pretty sure that the action itself is ok.

It doesn’t happen a lot, but when you’re processing a lot of files for a client, it doesn’t do to have one go missing 🙂

Thanks!
8thNote
Aug 10, 2004
Does it always happen with the same image? Does it only happen when you’re batch processing a folder? Have you tried batch processing all open docs?

Does the file just not get saved or is it not being opened at all?

Are you running the action via Photoshop or dropping a folder on an Action Droplet?
8thNote
Aug 10, 2004
As for the file itself, look for things like alpha channels, strange color profiles, color modes (including 8 or 16 bit color), guides, layers, transparency, etc.
8thNote
Aug 10, 2004
What are the exact steps of your action?
T
tkeiger
Aug 11, 2004
Does it always happen with the same image?
No. I’ve noticed it off and on over a series of projects.

Does it only happen when you’re batch processing a folder? yes

Have you tried batch processing all open docs?
Never even done that – and if you’re batch processing 30+ items (sometimes) I would think that would be unwieldy.

Does the file just not get saved or is it not being opened at all? Good question – I usually am doing something else so I don’t know.

Are you running the action via Photoshop or dropping a folder on an Action Droplet? via Photoshop

As for the file itself, look for things like alpha channels, strange color profiles, color modes (including 8 or 16 bit color), guides, layers, transparency, etc.
99.9percent of the time its a straight RGB file w/nothing unusual. Just checke the file in question from this past time and it was an unassuming RGB tif.

What are the exact steps of your action?
-resolution 72 dpi – constrain proportion
-save as jpeg
I set the "open" and "save to" for each process. I

If it screwed up the entire batch, that would be one thing. But just here and there….and I can’t determine the commonality.

Thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections