JK
Posted By
Jeremy_Knudsen
Nov 1, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I had CS installed on the Secondary Scratch Disk (Drive C:) before I installed CS2. When I installed CS2, I installed it onto Drive D:, which so happens to be my Primary Scratch Disk.

In theory, can this cause any problems?

I am thinking of putting CS2 onto drive C: to see if it fixes the extreme slowdown issues I have been experiencing ever since I upgraded from CS to CS2.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
chrisjbirchall
Nov 2, 2005
In an ideal world, scratch should be on a different drive to the one holding the Windows Paging File and the OS. Also, call me a traditionalist, but the OS and Programs really belong on C: As for slowdowns – without further knowledge of your system all I can advise is that you have plenty of free, defragmented, space on both your drives (at least 15%) and that your memory allocation in Photoshop should be at the default 55% to avoid starving Bridge, your plug-ins and filters of system resources and to prevent the OS from having to page out all the time.

Windows paging file should be set to min=max=4GB

Hope this helps.

Chris.
L
LenHewitt
Nov 2, 2005
Chris,

call me a traditionalist, but the OS and Programs really belong on C:<<

Traditionalist!

Personally, I keep applications on a separate drive to the O/S, Paging file and Primary Scratch disk. On my machine c:\ is ‘reserved’ for O/S and associated bits and pieces on drive 0. The pagefile has it’s own partition on drive 3. Drive 1 is for Applications and Drive 2 for data and Primary Scratch (Separate partitions).
JK
Jeremy_Knudsen
Nov 3, 2005
Okay, I’ve done all of this (page file was already set how you said it). I still experience performance issues with CS2. :o(
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Nov 3, 2005
Jeremy, I really doesn’t matter a lot where you install PS CS or CS2, as long as it’s a local, not a network drive. The loading of the application is not a significant factor as to the efficiency of its use. The more significant question is where your PS (CS or CS2) scratch files will go, and where the Windows paging file (virtual memory) goes. The scratch files’ primary location should be on a drive that is physically separate from the Windows paging or swap file. So if you have two hard drives, with one holding C: and D: and the other holding E: and F:, putting the windows paging file on C: and the PS cache on D: would not be as good as putting the windows paging file on C: and the PS cache on E: or F:.
C
chrisjbirchall
Nov 3, 2005
Traditionalist!

Heh! Thanks Len. What I meant to say was the same physical drive. You’re quite right, of course, programs can be installed anywhere. And I don’t practice what I preached in post #1 either, because on my own machine the OS is on C: the programs are on P: and the Page file is on F: Although these partitions are all on the same physical drive as the OS. It just seems to make more sense to keep the apps and data on separate drives.

Jeremy: If you’ve followed the advice here and you are still having performance issues, we would need to know a little more about your system to be able to offer more concrete help.

Some users have experienced graphics card problems with CS2. Try turning the hardware acceleration down to zero. If this shows any improvement you may need to download the latest drivers for your graphics card.

Best of luck with it.

Chris.
D
deebs
Nov 3, 2005
If you have an old computer knocking about this is one very interesting experiment in a free distro of linux

It’s tough demanding and needs aa fair bit of good analytical thinking but can be worth it in the longrun purely for the experience and, of course, making new use of an old computer.

For example: it never seemed obvious all those years ago that more than 26 drives would be required (based on an alphabetical system) yet one card reader can add about 4 alphabetical drives straight away. Then there is the CD, DVD drive(s) An alphabetic system soon starts to reach its limitations

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections