Trying to install PS7 onto windows 7 machine; file permissions/scratch disk problem

BC
Posted By
Barbara Clark
Jan 17, 2011
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just bought new PC and I’m trying to move my apps from my old xp machine to new windows 7. I installed PS7 but when I open it, PS gives an error saying the scratch disk is full. I have 1.5 TB of disk, mostly empty. I’ve not even configured the scratch disk yet. PS just displays the message and does not allow me to access the program so I can’t change it if I wanted to. I’m thinking it has something to do with the file permissions and security, which is giving me nightmares in win 7. I’m the administrator and owner of all of this stuff so it should not be giving me restrictions. Don’t know for sure if this is the problem but perhaps someone has a solution.

I have an intel DX58so mb, 16 gb ram, 1.5 tb hdd, core i7 960 3.2 GHz with 5870 Radeon graphics.

Thanks,
Barb

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

G
Grinder
Jan 17, 2011
On 1/17/2011 3:27 PM, Barbara Clark wrote:
I just bought new PC and I’m trying to move my apps from my old xp machine to new windows 7. I installed PS7 but when I open it, PS gives an error saying the scratch disk is full. I have 1.5 TB of disk, mostly empty. I’ve not even configured the scratch disk yet. PS just displays the message and does not allow me to access the program so I can’t change it if I wanted to. I’m thinking it has something to do with the file permissions and security, which is giving me nightmares in win 7. I’m the administrator and owner of all of this stuff so it should not be giving me restrictions. Don’t know for sure if this is the problem but perhaps someone has a solution.

I have an intel DX58so mb, 16 gb ram, 1.5 tb hdd, core i7 960 3.2 GHz with 5870 Radeon graphics.

I would start by setting the compatibility mode (on the photoshop executable) to Windows XP.
BC
Barbara Clark
Jan 17, 2011
On Jan 17, 3:18 pm, Grinder wrote:

I just bought  new PC and I’m trying to move my apps from my old xp machine to new windows 7. I installed PS7 but when I open it, PS gives an error saying the scratch disk is full. I have 1.5 TB of disk, mostly empty. I’ve not even configured the scratch disk yet. PS just displays the message and does not allow me to access the program so I can’t change it if I wanted to. I’m thinking it has something to do with the file permissions and security, which is giving me nightmares in win 7. I’m the administrator and owner of all of this stuff so it should not be giving me restrictions. Don’t know for sure if this is the problem but perhaps someone has a solution.

I would start by setting the compatibility mode (on the photoshop executable) to Windows XP.

How should I do this…is it a windows 7 command or can I do it as part of the PS7 install? PS7 won’t even let me run it so I can’t access menus to configure it. All I can control is install or windows

Thanks for the quick response and willingness to help!

Barb
BC
Barbara Clark
Jan 18, 2011
On Jan 17, 1:27 pm, Barbara Clark wrote:
I just bought  new PC and I’m trying to move my apps from my old xp machine to new windows 7. I installed PS7 but when I open it, PS gives an error saying the scratch disk is full. I have 1.5 TB of disk, mostly empty. I’ve not even configured the scratch disk yet. PS just displays the message and does not allow me to access the program so I can’t change it if I wanted to. I’m thinking it has something to do with the file permissions and security, which is giving me nightmares in win 7. I’m the administrator and owner of all of this stuff so it should not be giving me restrictions. Don’t know for sure if this is the problem but perhaps someone has a solution.

Thanks,
Barb

Well….found a little progress; Readme shows that if I hit sift+ctrl +alt upon startup it will allow me to reset my preferences. It took a few tries to hit the keys just at the right moment during startup but finally allowed me to edit the prefs. I changed the scratch disk and the program starts. But now, when I try to save anything it says the destination is full. Can’t be. This machine has several drives totaling over 2 TB and most are empty. If I explicitly type in a path, it saves OK. So now it is at least running but not convenient to use. Any ideas?
G
Grinder
Jan 18, 2011
On 1/17/2011 5:28 PM, Barbara Clark wrote:
On Jan 17, 3:18 pm, Grinder wrote:

How should I do this…is it a windows 7 command or can I do it as part of the PS7 install? PS7 won’t even let me run it so I can’t access menus to configure it. All I can control is install or windows

Thanks for the quick response and willingness to help!

Right-click on the executable in the Windows Explorer to get a context menu, and select Properties. There should be a compatibility tab.
AM
Andrew Morton
Jan 18, 2011
Barbara Clark wrote:
On Jan 17, 1:27 pm, Barbara Clark wrote:
I just bought new PC and I’m trying to move my apps from my old xp machine to new windows 7. I installed PS7 but when I open it, PS gives an error saying the scratch disk is full. I have 1.5 TB of disk, mostly empty.
<snip>
But now, when I try to save anything it says the
destination is full. Can’t be. This machine has several drives totaling over 2 TB and most are empty. If I explicitly type in a path, it saves OK. So now it is at least running but not convenient to use. Any ideas?

It could be that the disks are so large that PS7 can’t understand the sizes of them. Can you try saving to a partition of, say, less than 640GB?

Andrew
L
Lazarus
Jan 18, 2011

B.,

I have PS7 on XP and don’t have the scratch disc error but can make the error occur by changing the scratch disc settings:

Edit > Preferences > Plugins & ScratchDisk

If I check the Additional Plugins Directory, I get a scratch disk error (uncheck it)

If I select the C:/ under any of the Scratch Disks 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, pull-down menus I get a scratch disk error.

I get no scratch disc errors if the Scratch Disk settings are as follows:

First: Startup
Second thru Forth: None

Note-1: I have only the two Scratch Disk pull-down menu options, Start-up and C:/. From what I understand, ideally a separate drive is used for PS scratch Disk (virtual memory); a drive partition can also be used. I’ve never had a dedicated Scratch Drive or partition.

Note-2: If you continue to get the error, try defragmenting your drive(s). Apparently, PS needs a part of the drive that is continuous (free of file separation – fragmented); if the allocated space PS uses on the drive is fragmented, it makes sense the error you receive, "disk full". It also makes sense your drive is fragmented having just loaded programz onto a new PC. To defrag, I use http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/ on a Win7 PC and I don’t use Window’s own (one or the other not both).

Note-3: If you partition as Andrew mentions, use max 200 GB partition size (it’s in the PS7 Help).

——————-
"Barbara Clark" wrote:

Thanks,
Barb

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections