Installing Photoshop v7 on 1TB+ drive – how to work around "scratch disks full" error

P
Posted By
peterblaise
May 5, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When installing Photoshop v7 on 1TB drive – is there a way to edit the preferences, perhaps copy them from another computer, to work around the "scratch disks full" error, perhaps turning off the scratch disk feature, or assigning it to a smaller drive, such as the HP_RECOVERY drive or a USB drive or a non-existent drive?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
peterblaise
May 5, 2009
Yes,

by copying the file:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop \7.0\Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Settings\Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Prefs.psp

from a working test computer with less that 1TG drives will work.

My case:
Target computer:
C: 1.3TB (1.3TB free)
D: 5GB (HP_RECOVERY, 335MB free)

Test computer:
C: 500GB only
I needed to create a D: drive to correspond to the D: drive on my target computer, so I opend up a DOC prompts, and ran:
C:\>_ Subst D: C:\ [Enter]
…. giving me:
D: 500GB

Then I opened Photoshop 7, and worked through these menus::

Edit, Preferences, Plug-Ins & Sctarch Disks…, Scratch Disks, First: Startup, make this D:\, Okay, Exit Photoshop

Then copy the resulting preferences file from the test PC to the target PC:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop \7.0\Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Settings\Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Prefs.psp

…. copying file from the working computer to the non-working computer.

Then, when loading Photoshop 7 on a the working computer, it automatically looked at D:, my recovery drive with 335MB free, and so Photoshop 7 loaded without argument instead of crashing out.

So, on a computer with 1TB+ drives, so long as we can lie to Photoshop 7 and make it it look to a <1TB drive for it’s scratch, it seems to load and run fine.

Now, if someone know show to edit the prefs file without loading Photoshop 7 on another computer, and also knows how to cause Photoshop 7 to even run with no scratch drive (?) if that still is workable with fast compute4rs and loads of RAM, maybe we can come up with another workaround.

Anyway, I’m happy for now.

Enjoy!

Whew!

I don’t want to use any program beyond what Zeiss optics depends upon, and, photographically speaking, they are a god! So, if Photoshop 7 is good enough for Zeiss, the Photoshop 7 is good enough for me, even if I update all my drives to 1TB+, I’m keeping Photoshop 7! 😉

Peter Blaise

http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/

On May 5, 12:50 pm, peterblaise wrote:
When installing Photoshop v7 on 1TB drive – is there a way to edit the preferences, perhaps copy them from another computer, to work around the "scratch disks full" error, perhaps turning off the scratch disk feature, or assigning it to a smaller drive, such as the HP_RECOVERY drive or a USB drive or a non-existent drive?
P
peterblaise
May 6, 2009
Photoshop 7 still can’t SAVE a file to C: drive IF it has more than 1TB of free space!

Anyone have a work around or fix for Photoshop 7’s fear of big drives?

I’m saving to D: 300 MB free (HP_RECOVERY drive!) then exit and copy back to C: — drat!
S
sheldonpt
May 25, 2014
On Tuesday, May 5, 2009 7:14:02 PM UTC-7, peterblaise wrote:
Photoshop 7 still can’t SAVE a file to C: drive IF it has more than 1TB of free space!

I’m saving to D: 300 MB free (HP_RECOVERY drive!) then exit and copy back to C: — drat!

try lowering your browser security settings in user account controls (uac)
CS
Craig Schiller
May 25, 2014
On 5/25/14 1:30 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 5, 2009 7:14:02 PM UTC-7, peterblaise wrote:

try lowering your browser security settings in user account controls (uac)
I’m curious why you think that would have anything to do with it.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections