MP
Posted By
Matthew_Poor
Jul 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having a problem when doing a crop while the dimensions and resolution are set. If the file I am working on is very large, I get a kernel panic.

Thought it might be ram (see earlier post), but it is not.

I did it with a smaller file (34 megs) and halfway through, photoshop reported that my startup disk was now full. The startup is the primary scratch disk, and I have another for the secondary.

While that error message was up, I went into the finder and checked on my drive, O megs free. As soon as I clicked OK in Photoshop (cancelling the stopped cropping operation), the space (44 gigs out of 80) freed up.

Seems Photoshop is using an insanely large scratch file/files for one operation on a 34 meg image, no?

It happens consistently with this operation, no matter how small the image file. I am not asking it do drastically decrease/increase overall pixel dimension. This is NOT an intensive operation. My computer will happily do a lens blur on 95% of a 112 meg 16 bit image. But this crop brings it to it knees.

Can anyone else do this? Again, 320×320, 300dpi crop.

Any ideas?

Matt

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
progress
Jul 1, 2004
somethings screwed with your machine…PS crops fine.
B
Buko
Jul 1, 2004
Scratch disk should not ever be on the startup disk.

if your scratch disk is full you need to get more hard drives
B
Buko
Jul 1, 2004
Also you should have stayed with one thread now we will be all over the place trying to figure out your problem.
MP
Matthew_Poor
Jul 1, 2004
Progress. PS crops fine for me too, unless I set the dimensions and resolution in the settings boxes at the top of the screen. But perhaps you are right. Except this computer shows absolutely no other signs of any malfunction whatsoever. I assume a problem of this severity (if it were not being caused by Photoshop) with the hard drive that the OS is located on would manifest itself in some other form.

Buko, if you had read my post, the scratch disk is NOT full, it has 44 gigs of free space on it out of 80, hardly near its max capacity. You understand that in one operation, 44 GIGABYTES of space is being used (cropping a 34 meg image).

If one has only one hard drive, were would you suggest putting the scratch disk? Photoshop does, after all, need one, correct? Just like to know.

If you had read my earlier thread, you would know that I was tracking the problem assuming it was ram, not noticing the instantaneous use of 44 gigs of hard drive space by photoshop. The only answer reached in the last one (only 2 messages) was remove all my ram. So referring to the earlier post is unnecessary. This is a completely different subject, therefore I thought it should be a different post. Sorry if that was the wrong thing to do 🙂

Matt
P
progress
Jul 1, 2004
dont worry i got a bad one here that doesnt like large copy and pastes…everything else is fine…its gonna get wiped tomorrow though.
B
Buko
Jul 1, 2004
You could also be running into permissions issues.
MP
Matthew_Poor
Jul 1, 2004
I will fix permissions. So maybe the hard drive itself is going south?

Matt
P
progress
Jul 1, 2004
unfortunately matt, your in the lap of the gods…apples own hardware testing is arse, you’ll get more mileage out of part swapping if the symptoms persist…god help you if its the processor…45 days and waiting here.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 4, 2004
Sounds like you’re using the crop tool with a target resolution, creating a REALLY big image and filling your hard disk. And if your scratch is set to the same disk as the OS swapfile, that could cause the OS to have problems…..

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections