After editing my pictures look great until I open them with Explorer?!

JB
Posted By
jessica_bruneau
Jan 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need some serious help!!I got the new Canon digital Rebel for Christmas. I am not a photographer at all and alot of my pictures come out some what dark. I spent many hours fixing them with elements 2.0 and they look fantastic. When I email them or open them with internet explorer they look dark and my subject almost looks sweety.
I thought I must of over exposed the picture during editing so I went back to adobe open up the picture and it looked perfect. Then opened the same exact picture with explorer and had the pictures side by side and you wouldn’t believe the difference.

I emailed the pic to my Mom and she also thought it looked over exposed!Why does the same picture look so different? I want to email my pics with out them looking bad. I am so frustrated can someone please help?

Jessica

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 10, 2004
People usually have the reverse complaint – their pictures look fine in Explorer and crummy in Elements. As far as I know, the cause is the same. Elements is a color managed application, whereas Explorer and most other editing programs are not, so the color will vary depending on where it’s being viewed.

I believe the problem will be cured if you calibrate the monitor. You say the originals all look dark, which requires you do a significant amount of editing. That suggests to me that proper monitor calibration could reduce the amount of editing you need to do and give you more consistency when the same pictures are viewed in Elements and Explorer. About all you can concern yourself with is how the images look on your computer, because you won’t be able to control the settings on the computer of everyone you might sent the picture to. But start with your own.

This site has an extremely good section on monitor calibration and color management. It’s written for PS 7, which is OK, because that’s the engine PSE 2 is based on.

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7>

You’ll notice that the calibration of a CRT monitor is going to be more straightforward than if you have an LCD. We’ll hope you have a CRT!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections