DH
Posted By
David_Hendon
Jan 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve rec’d an e-mail with a JPEG image attached. When I try to open it with PhotoShop Elements, I get an error message saying that the image cannot be opened because "reading spatial/lossless JPEG files is not implemented". The only reference in PS Elements HELP gives a definition of sorts but nothing on implementing. I’ve also tried to save the image without opening it. When I try to open it from the saved file, I get the same message. How do I implement reading spatial/lossless JPEG files, or otherwise open the image?
Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RW
Ralph_Ward
Jan 10, 2004
I have no idea but would to have a compressing jpeg which is lossless to work with and programs that handle it
Ralph Ward
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 10, 2004
David,

Don’t know if it would work or not but when I have an image that will not open by any other means I load it into Graphic Converter then resave it.

Graphic Converter is (I think) shareware and a quick google search should find it for you.

Good Luck
Wendy
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 10, 2004
I use Graphic Converter a lot also. It will open almost anything, and then just save it as a .jpg and PSE will open it with no problem. If I have a bunch of pictures to open, I use GC, then I take the ones that I want to work on and open then with PSE.
I bought Graphic Converter, but there is a trial period too. <http://www.graphic-converter.net/>
or
<http://www.lemkesoft.de/en/index.htm>
That company has other goodies too.
Jane
PA
Patti_Anderson
Jan 10, 2004
Try Irfanview — it’s freeware. Irfanview is a small image viewer/editor, with big potential. IMO, if Irfanview can’t open it, it can’t be opened. LOL <http://www.irfanview.com>

Patti
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 10, 2004
yup, irfanview is what i use as well. Someone had sent me a pic that they had uploaded to their Kodak sharing site and it was a JPEG but the extension was screwy. Irfanview just changed the extension and i was able to open and save it from within the program.
DH
David_Hendon
Jan 11, 2004
Here it’s been only about 24 hours and I’ve heard from so many of you. I haven’t had time to try the solutions. Meanwhie,thanks Ralph, Wendy, Jane, Patti and Jodi. I’m glad to see that there is some agreement on some solutions. I’ll give each a try tomorrow and report back. I appreciate your responsiveness.
SS
Susan_S.
Jan 11, 2004
Graphic Converter is the Mac solution, Irfan View the Windows one! I’ve had a lot of success with the former and heard a lot of good things about the latter.

Susan S.
DH
David_Hendon
Jan 12, 2004
To Ralph, Wendy, Jane, Patti, & Jodi, I want to add my thanks to Susan. I downloaded Irfan View today, and after some recalcitrance by my system, I was able to open the specific e-mail attachment that had been giving me such problems. At that point I was able to change its image size and save it with a different extension. I was also able to pick up a couple of other useful downloads. Thank you very much.

David H.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 13, 2004
David,

That is brilliant news …. just hope the photograph was a good one 🙂

Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 13, 2004
ya…the one that finally made me download irfanview totally sucked…but hey, I got the program now 🙂
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 13, 2004
Its always the way isn’t it Jodi 🙂

Wendy
CS
carl_sutherland
Jan 13, 2004
Susan and Jane,

Do either of you know where I might find some simple directions for Graphic Converter for basic functions? A copy came with my software for OS X apparently, but it came with a 126 page manual that I have not been able to digest. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Carl

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections