PM
Posted By
phillip_meria
Oct 18, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop CS, Windows XP Sm Bus Ed, Dell 1GB RAM, 120GB HD, 54GB free disk space.

What am I not doing correctly that prevents me from changing the file format from .psd to .jpg using the "Save As" command?

The .jpg format is not even a file type option on the drop down file type menu in the "Save As" window. I can change .psd to .tif and vice versa.

P.S.
I also have PS E2 installed on my system, using the same files, I can change file formats from .psd to .jpg either in batch mode or "Save As" command in the file menu and I can’t do either in CS.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

D
deebs
Oct 18, 2005
It works for me in CS and CS2 by:

1 – psd file open

2 – CTRL+SHIFT+S

3 – append to filename if wished

4 – press tab key once

5 – press J

6 – enter twice
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 18, 2005
My guess is you are working in 16bit.
PM
phillip_meria
Oct 19, 2005
Thank you both for your fast response.

deebs: Sorry I was unable to duplicate your solution.

chrisjbirchall: You were right I am working in 16-bit mode. There’s a lot more for me to learn about PS CS.

It is curious though that I am able to change the format as I stated in my original msg Post Script. PS E2 doesn’t seem to care whether it’s 8-bit or 16-bit.

I hope that PS CS2 includes this time saving feature.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 20, 2005
Elements should care – since you can throw away quality without realizing it by saving to a file format that requires a different bitdepth. That’s a bug in Elements.
PM
phillip_meria
Oct 22, 2005
Chris Cox

I would like this feature in both Elements and Photoshop. Caveat: Need a warning dialogue box to save your 16-bit file quality before changing formats.

I appreciate your input
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 23, 2005
It’s not a problem in Photoshop: Photoshop will only offer file formats that support your current document.
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
Oct 23, 2005
Everyone runs into this once. It’s sort of a rite of passage, not finding jpeg in the list and then saying "Oh, yeah, I’m in 16 bit".

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections