ED
Posted By
Eva_Deck
Dec 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
There are 113 messages in the topic I started, "Digital Camera for Non-Professional", <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.2ccef181>, all helpful and interesting, including the anniversaries. We will celebrate our 48th on January 14! But the discussions got a bit far away from my original question so I decided to start a new thread. I’ll tell you why I bought the camera and then ask some questions.

I bought the Kodak DX6440 from Amazon.com. Here’s why:

1. It’s small enough to fit in an old calculator case. For you youngsters out there, scientific calculators used to be the size of today’s cameras and cost over $100 which was more money then than it is today! The cases were designed to hang from an engineer’s belt. Every film camera I’ve traveled with has had to pass the calculator case test. If the camera doesn’t ride on my belt, it’s in a small fanny pack (stomach pack, really).

2. It’s 4 MP and has 4X optical zoom.

3. All cameras are designed for right handed people. Being a leftie, I need to support the camera with my left hand to be sure I hold it still while pushing the shutter button. The film cameras I’ve had in the last 20 years or so have all had the flash located at the upper corner of the camera where all too often my left index finger obscures the flash. On this camera, the flash is in the center of the camera. The only thing my left hand can obscure is the viewfinder, and I’d see that :-).

4. The reviews are good for the type of camera.
< http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/kodak/dx6440-review/index. shtml> <http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/dx6440.html>

5. It has a macro mode for taking pictures of small wildflowers.

6. Amazon.com had a special price that included $25 off on an 128MB SD card and Kodak has a promotion for a free 128MB card.

Okay, here are some problems:

1. The viewfinder is not WYSIWYG. After adjusting the zoom to exactly what I want to shoot, I see in the "review" that there is more captured than I intended. This means cropping when I get the photo into PE. I can use the LCD screen which is more accurate, but the manual warns about how much battery power it uses. Also, I’m just more used to using a viewfinder and have learned to keep a camera steady using it whereas, I haven’t learned how to do that with the LCD screen yet. Is this a viewfinder problem with all non-SLR digitals, or just this Kodak?

2. The few trial pictures I’ve taken (I’ve only had the camera a day) have had "purple fringing". Is this a problem with this camera or all similar cameras? Or the lighting? The pictures were taken with flash.

3. There are several choices for picture quality.

4.0MP Best (print enlargement)
3.5MP Best (3:2 optimized for 4×6" prints)
2.1MP – Better (small print)
1.1MP – Good (e-mail)

About the 4.0MP Best, the manual says it makes 30" X 20" prints. Then there’s the 3.5MP Best which is 3:2. This is very confusing. Isn’t 30:20 the same as 3:2. Why would I use one instead of the other?

4. The reviews mention the flimsy plastic battery door, and it *is* flimsy.

This is my first digital camera. I didn’t have an opportunity to test cameras. The stores around here don’t even have batteries in their display cameras. Did I make a poor choice? Amazon.com is pretty good about returning merchandise.

As always, thanks for your help.
Eva

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 26, 2003
Eva, congratulations on your purchase! Your thought processes are very sound and it sounds like you made a very good choice. A few points:

1. Re the case, sounds like you’re getting your money’s worth out of that old calculator case! I don’t recall where you said you live, but WalMart has a number of perfectly serviceable cases for small printers that are well-made and inexpensive – like $4US. So if the old case dies and you are near a WalMart, you’ll be in good shape,
2. 4 MP with a 4X optical zoom is an excellent combination. I have the 4 MP on my Canon G2, but the optical is only 3X. That extra power will come in handy.
3. Glad you found a camera that would accommodate a left-handed person. Cameras have to be one of the most right-handed devices ever sold…
4. The reviews are generally accurate, although Steve’s tends to be a
little more positive/optimistic about everything than DC resources or DP Review. Sometimes you have to read between the lines.
5. You’ll love the macro mode!

With respect to the problems:

1. Yes, the viewfinder coverage is as you describe on many cameras, including my G2. But the other problem with mine is potentially more serious: if I use the LCD and fill the whole view with image, I lose a little bit off one edge when I move it to my computer. I would much rather be in a situation where I crop a little than the situation where I lose important details off the edge!
2. Purple fringing is common, though not universally so, and it’s worst in certain high-contrast situations. It can be annoying, but generally can be fixed in Elements. You have to decide how severe a problem that is relative to all the positives you’ve identified.
3. My impression from looking at the Steve’s review is that this camera shoots in the standard ratio for digital point and shoot cameras: 4:3. The second shooting range that gives a 3.5 MP image in 3:2 ratio probably employs a mask over the CCD chip to give the dimensions in that ratio. I believe the size quoted for the Best range picture is a misprint.
4. Flimsy plastic door over the card slot?? Must be a design requirement
for most digitals, including the one I bought this Christmas (the Canon A80). I don’t know why they do that, but it’s not just Kodak…

Overall, I think it’s a fine choice, based on the review I read (Steve’s) and your handling preferences. I’d recommend you take more pictures in a variety of lighting situations to see how severe the fringing is, but other than that, everything else sounds fine!

One person’s opinion…

Chuck
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 26, 2003
re purple fringing – this is worsened by the combination of an overexposd area next to a dark area and a wide aperture. If you have the controls on the camera (I’m not familiar with the Kodak), then exposing so that the highlights/light areas are not overexposed by using exposure compensation (and then bringing up the shadow detail later in Elements) and stopping down the aperture a bit helps. On my Canon G3 the purple fringing shows p in some lighting conditions at apertures wider than f5.

The viewfinder / image difference is quite common – i don’t tend to use my viewfinder except in very bright light (partly becasue at wide angle or with the lens conveter you lose a large portion of the view through the viewfinder to the lens barrel!).

I would always use the very best quality image. It’s easy enough to crop to the proportions that you want in Elements (despite the number of poor confused individuals who post on this subject in this forum!). And unless you are going to have the images printed out by a commercial processor (and even there, these days, a lot who print digital that I’ve talked to will just give you prints in the proportions that the images are given to them in) there is no need to be constrained by the standard traditional print proportions. I just crop and print to the proportions that give me the most pleasing composition for the image concerned.
Susan S.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 26, 2003
Eva

Congratulations! Of course now you will be able to clean up on the PhotoChallanges 😉 While all new things are exciting I suspect nothing can beat a new digital camera as it is click enjoy, click enjoy, right from the get go. Now get out there and really enjoy your new camera.

As an aside January the 14th is a sad day in my life as that is the day I officially age again.

Grant

Home Pages http://home.cogeco.ca/~grant.dixon/index.htm

Challenge Pages http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/

Creativity is so delicate a flower that praise tends to make it bloom, while discouragement often nips it in the bud. Any of us will put out more and better ideas if our efforts are appreciated.

Alexander Osborn (1888 – 1966)

********************************************************* \
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 26, 2003
Eva, the Steves-Digicams review indicates there are framing marks in the viewfinder. If they are what they sound like, you could use them to get closer to a full frame without using the LCD. Might be worth investigating….

Chuck
ED
Eva_Deck
Dec 27, 2003
Chuck, Fortunately I have a couple of calculator cases left. I’ve worn out several so far. I guess I’ll be hiking the trails with a digital cameral dangling from my waist at the left and a film camera on the right.

The framing marks mentioned are different from what I’m used to and what I think you’re referring to. My Olympus Stylus 140 film camera has them and they’re helpful. The ones on the digital are described in the manual: "In livewiew (LCD) the framing marks indicate the area of your scene that the camera is focusing on. For the best possible pictures the camera attempts to focus on foreground subjects, even if the subjects are not centered in the scene."

Thanks for your helpful comments. It’s good to know that this camera is not a terrible mistake.

And thanks to Susan for helping me understand purple fringing.

One other comment to anyone else who might be installing the "Easy Share" software that comes with the camera. I installed and updated the software to the latest version. I have Windows ME. The usual installation has the software running in the "tray". I used the software to transfer photos to the computer and then opened PE to work on them. The computer promptly crashed. I rebooted and it happened again. I ran MSconfig, removed Easy Share from the startup list. I also disabled the automatic updater. Now PE works fine.

Eva

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections