Posted By
song writer
Jan 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I hope I am asking this question in the correct newsgroup.

I want to take up digital photography. I want to be able to take as many types of artistic photographs as possible.

I would like a wide lens, and a very good zoom. I would also like to take close up photographs. This would include flowers and insects. Does this require a macro lens? I would also like to get that blur in the background when I am taking photographs of people and things. What kind of lens does this require?

I guess I am not only looking for a digital camera with a good zoom lens. In addition to a good zoom lens, can anyone recommend a good digital camera to purchase?

Will I need a digital camera with the option of different lenses to add on to it? Is this very expensive?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
jeffc
Jan 24, 2005
alt.binaries.photos.original – lots of nice photographers over there. You will also see some amazing (and some not so amazing) photos, too. Many digital camera users on this newsgroup.

song writer wrote:
Hello,

I want to take up digital photography. I want to be able to take as many types of artistic photographs as possible.

I would like a wide lens, and a very good zoom. I would also like to take close up photographs. This would include flowers and insects. Does this require a macro lens? I would also like to get that blur in the background when I am taking photographs of people and things. What kind of lens does this require?

I guess I am not only looking for a digital camera with a good zoom lens. In addition to a good zoom lens, can anyone recommend a good digital camera to purchase?

Will I need a digital camera with the option of different lenses to add on to it? Is this very expensive?

Thanks for your help.
BA
Bob Allison
Jan 24, 2005
In article <BE17D577.29FE9%>,
song writer wrote:

rec.photo.digital might do it

WARNING: consumption of alcohol may lead you
to think people are laughing WITH you.

Bob
In Carmel, CA
RC
Ray Cote
Jan 27, 2005
Technically, you’re not in the correct newsgroup, but there’s enough cross-over from photography to photoshop it doesn’t really matter. You have two choices as I see it: an all-in-one camera where the lens is built into the camera body or a SLR type that accepts lenses of different focal lengths.
The advantage of the former is a sealed body that won’t allow dust inside to contaminate the CCD. The SLR body allows for a wider range of lenses, but you do run the risk of getting dust on the CCD every time you change the lens.
This isn’t as bad as it sounds, I have the Nikon D70 and change my lenses frequently. Just use common sense and stay out of windy and/or dusty environments.

The blur in the background you’re refering to is simply a shallow depth of field achieved with a large aperature (f 2.8 – f 4.0). Great when you want to isolate your subject from the background.

Find yourself a good book for beginners. There’s many pros and cons to all those confusing camera choices out there, so understanding the fundamentals will allow you to determine what your particular needs will be and allow you to make an intelligent decision regarding your camera purchase.

song writer wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for your help.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections