Posted By
Mark Cawte
Sep 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

Wondered if there is a way of cropping a photograph by measurement. I keep croping bits then going to image size to check the size.

any help

mark

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
Cheesefood
Sep 24, 2003
Go to Image > Canvas Size and select the appropriate size. Then link all your layers (if your using layers) and use the arrow to position the graphic inside the frame.

If you’d like to just resize the image, go to Image > Image Size and enter the new size. Remember if you’re shrinking the image to boost the resolution. The way to figure this out is to either figure out the ratio of original size to new size and then multiply the default resolution by that number or to just keep changing the resolution until the original file size (shown in MB at the top) and the new file size match up.

This is only important for print applications.
PH
Photo Help
Sep 24, 2003
Mark,

Use the crop tool with a specific width and height. Clear the resolution box or your image will be resampled.
C
Cheesefood
Sep 24, 2003
The only problem with Crop is that it’s destructive. Changing the canvas size retains all the original data.
PH
Photo Help
Sep 24, 2003
Cheesefood,

Crop can be non destructive if you want. Just change the mode from "delete" to "hide" and it acts just like a canvas size change.
LH
Lawrence Hudetz
Sep 24, 2003
If you want to change image size and retain the total file size, uncheck the Resample box in the Size dialog box.

It seems to me that to crop is basically destructive, that is you want to throw away certain portions of the image. I actually prefer this, as I don’t want the original uncropped image to be in the file. In those cases where this isn’t true, as especially when cropping for a particular use or a client’s image, I have the original tucked away and work a copy.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections