OT– Minolta S 414 Digital Camera User Opinion?

D
Posted By
Dimrilldell
Feb 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want a digital camera for home use,and have been eyeing (coveting?) Minolta’s S-414 digital 4MP, 4X zoom camera for some time. All that’s held me back is my innate parsimony. One can be purchased on the web for $250US right now and I think that might be a good buy. A memory card, card reader and a battery/charger kit would add about $100 more to the cost.

Here are my questions:
1. Some reviewers have questioned the S-414’s low light focusing ability. I know that some habitués of this forum have this camera, and I would like to know what you think of it.

2. Is there another camera out there that would be a better value for someone like me?

Dim

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Feb 16, 2004
Dim,
I went through this selection process a couple of months ago, and the determening factor for me was the OPTICAL resolution of the lens. For that reason I finally purchased the Olympus C-750UZ, although I strongly considered the Kodak DX6490. Both of these have optical resolution of 10X. The Olympus comes with 4 rechargeable AA batteries & charger. I just returned from a trip and the pictures are great. There is no right or wrong here, but the consideration of optics is cardinal in my opinion. Good luck.
Ken
PS I took a few shots in full "auto" mode, i.e. point and shoot, and they came out very well, indeed.
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 16, 2004
Kenneth, you are mixing up resolution and zoom ratio. The resolution tells you how many lines per mm.; the zoom ratio tells how many times you can zoom in on the image.

Leen
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Feb 16, 2004
Leen,
Sorry about that. I meant to refer to optical zoom, of course. The digital zoom is of minimal interest to me.
Ken
E
East-of-lake
Feb 16, 2004
All of the old main line camera manufacturers use high quality lenses so you should look at zoom ratio, type of memory stick and the (to me ) all important "shutter" delay.

FYI – Digital zoom lets you precrop when you run out of optical zoom. Saves memory so you can store more images. Otherwise digital zoom is a marketing tool.

wrote in message
I want a digital camera for home use,and have been eyeing (coveting?)
Minolta’s S-414 digital 4MP, 4X zoom camera for some time. All that’s held me back is my innate parsimony. One can be purchased on the web for $250US right now and I think that might be a good buy. A memory card, card reader and a battery/charger kit would add about $100 more to the cost.
Here are my questions:
1. Some reviewers have questioned the S-414’s low light focusing ability.
I know that some habitu
D
Dimrilldell
Feb 17, 2004
Ken:
Thanks for your input. I appreciate your recommendations.

Dim
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Feb 18, 2004
Dim,

I own the Minolta Dimage S414 and highly recommend it! At that price it’s a steal, I paid close to $400 last March, I realize the new models are about to come out. Here’s <http://www.pbase.com/imacbarb/root> a link to some of the pictures I’ve taken with it, excluding the black & white gallery, photomerge gallery and the photoshop stuff. Focusing in extremely low light is difficult, but I don’t have any experience to compare it to, this is my first digital camera. I’ve shot some pictures in rather dim light and they came out just fine, I believe my Pottery & Glass Galleries depict that.

I had a minor problem with the viewfinder window fogging over and sent it in for warranty repair. I think the early models only had this problem. Their service was excellent and I had the camera back in about two weeks.

Hope this helps you decide. Sorry I didn’t write in sooner, I haven’t checked in on the forum in a while, been very busy.

Barb
D
Dimrilldell
Feb 19, 2004
Barb:
Your photo gallery is full of magical images. I truly admire your talent.

Thanks for your report on the Minolta S414. You confirmed my impression the S414 would be a good choice for me.

Many thanks,
Dim
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Feb 19, 2004
Dim,

Thanks for your lovely comments! I hope you enjoy the S414 as much as I do.

Barb

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections