EH
Posted By
Eric_Hoffland
Jul 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My PowerBook G4 is taking longer to open, save, and close images in CS. File sizes have not changed since I began working on images with this new Powerbook G4 runnng OSx three months ago but the length of image processing time has. My hard drive is only have full, 35 gigs free space. Any suggestions?

eric

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

G
graffiti
Jul 14, 2004
Follow these system maintenance tips <http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?128@@.6890d19d> to keep your system running efficiently.
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Jul 14, 2004
Eric,

Large images can cause swap files to increase in number and size if there isn’t sufficient RAM.

If rebooting (not simply logging out/in) does not solve the problem then it’s something else. However, if rebooting makes Photoshop run faster it’s almost certainly the swap files that are causing the slow down.

Get MenuMeters <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17713> which will allow you to watch your swap files (and much more) and see if the slow downs correspond to the size and number of swap files. (It’s freeware and I’ve been using it for well over a year without a glitch. It also has a 5 star rating at VT.)
D
Dan-o
Jul 15, 2004
Most of those things on that Apple Discussion page aren’t going to do anything for the speed of your system. The very best things you can do for OS X if you think it’s more sluggish than it ought to be, short of adding more processing power, is adding more RAM and a better video card. Obviously for systems with integrated cards, RAM is really your only option, or possibly a faster HD.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 15, 2004
There is one thing, in addition to more RAM, that would really help: you NEED a second hard drive for your scratch disk!

And run Cocktail.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections