BE
Posted By
burke even
Jul 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
There are a few things PhotoShop won’t do quickly when GoLive is running. The one that’s really frustrating is ‘File – New’. It can take up to 30 seconds for the New Image dialog box to appear IF GoLive is running. This happens right after a reboot, without any image open in PS, or any sites open in GL. Without GL open the dialog pops right up! Sometimes I think the PC locks up so I end task on GL and the dialog pops up immediatley. Using AMD 900, 1 gig ram, 80Gb 7200 ATA/133 (50 gig free), Win98SE, PS 7.0.1, GL 6.0.1.

Any suggestions will be apreciated!

Burke

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JC
Josh Conley
Jul 6, 2003
suggest defragging, to start with.
L
LenHewitt
Jul 6, 2003
Burke,

Not a universal problem and not one I can duplicate, which suggests it is something specific to your machine. To determine what it might be we need full specs on your machine including O/S, installed RAM, Photoshop memory preferences video card and driver, pagefile size etc, etc.
RH
r_harvey
Jul 6, 2003
I had trouble getting GoLive 5 running with anything else, because it doesn’t follow the Windows conventions for handling message loops. I believe this is because of a "Porting library" DLL. Macromedia Fontographer has similar problems–try to run them together with an un-optimized machine! Run a Windows utility that shows processor and resources usage, and you’ll see everything pegged at 100% with GoLive running.

I increased RAM to 256MB (you already have 512), and created a contiguous 1GB minimum permanent swap file–allowing to grow to 1.5GB. With this change, GoLive plays much nicer with others.

To create a contiguous permanent swap file:

Re-start with little running.
Defrag the drive where you want the swap file.
Create the swap file.
DM
dave milbut
Jul 7, 2003
do you have norton system works running? if so disable everything but NAV, especially protected recycle bin.

I’m still leaning towards network though. Doesn’t goLive set up a local host web server? Maybe there’s a firewall config problem? Not sure how it is in 98, but in NT you can start and stop the web server from the services applet in the control panel. Now I know that 98 doesn’t have nt type "services" but is there another way you can shut down the web server to try to see if that’s your problem?
BE
burke even
Jul 7, 2003
Dave,
No, I don’t have Norton system works installed, only Ghost (which is NOT running) and NAV, which is running. The recycle bin deletes everything, nothing is saved.

And yes, GL did install a web server, but I don’t use it, and it’s not running. But I did verify the web server is shut down.(There’s a Dynamic Content Server folder with the start and stop commands for both the web and MySQL servers. Cool stuff but right now I just work from a live server.) I’m using DSL through a Linux firewall. I can try it with dial-up and no firewall, but isn’t this going in the wrong direction? Photoshop is the slow app, although only with GL running.

And it happens withOUT a site or page open in GL.

Burke
B
Bernie
Jul 7, 2003
I, too, find that GL5 is a pretty heavy user, using W2K, if I open a new blank document in Go Live it runs straight to 45 – 55% CPU usage and from there it soon goes to 100% as I create a simple page.

Don’t understand this, but it’s a real pain because I have to use GL on its own, can’t really have anything else running.
P
Phosphor
Jul 8, 2003
The most likely cause is that GL is causing the system to hit the Win98 resource limits.

Upgrading to XP should solve that….
DJ
dennis johnson
Jul 8, 2003
In my opinion, a much better solution is to dump GoLive and get Dreamweaver.

I made the switch and am very happy that I did. GoLive is not Adobe’s best effort, by a long shot. I suffered through two versions of GoLive, believing that Adobe could get their act together, but Dreamweaver is the better product.

Please don’t shoot me, Adobe. I still use and love Photoshop and Illustrator.

But no one’s perfect…
RH
r_harvey
Jul 8, 2003
I don’t know about Dreamweaver, but I’ve not been pleased with GoLive. It certainly doesn’t look like it came from Adobe.

I still use and love Photoshop and Illustrator.

Buying and learning InDesign is one of the best decisions I’ve made in years.
DJ
dennis johnson
Jul 8, 2003
GoLive DIDN’T come from Adobe. The company that originally made the product that became GoLive was "assimilated" by Adobe several years ago. It was originally a Mac-only app named Cyberstudio.

Adobe has been tinkering with the product ever since, and it shows.
BE
burke even
Jul 8, 2003
OK, I did install CacheMan. You see, I just doubled the ram thinking that would solve the issue, but yesterday was spent mostly rebooting – all sorts of weird problems. My system is stable again with the 1Gb ram, (thanks to r-harvey!) and CacheMan shows that I’m NOT at the memory barier. Nor was I at the limit when I only had 512Mb either. But it still hasn’t helped PS on the speed end. Oh well, I’ve got some extra ram now.

So maybe I’ll look at upgrading to XP and an Intel processor next. Maybe.
RH
r_harvey
Jul 8, 2003
So maybe I’ll look at upgrading to XP

Only as a last resort. Freedom isn’t free.

…and an Intel processor next.

AMD processors and ATI video cards are sometimes incompatible. Try dragging an old video card from the junk drawer, and see if it works better.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections