SH
Posted By
Scott_Hoots
Dec 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve seen some topics address this issue. I just installed PSE yesterday. It takes about 3 minutes to load. From the other topics it appears to be caused by one of two things.

1) Open network connection. I have an open wireless network connection. When I close the connection and start PSE it opens immediately. Seems to be a pain in the rear to have to close the connection, open the program, then reopen the connection. Is there a workaround?

2) Plug ins. I have about 40 plug ins installed. How do I know which ones I need, and which ones I can eliminate? Will reducing the plug ins speed up load time?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 27, 2003
As PSE is opening, watch the splash screen. Does it seem to bog down at any particular spot? There are little message lines showing things like "loading fonts" or "loading patterns", plus many others. See if you can identify one or two places where it seems to be taking an unusually long time. I know I’d added some extra patterns to my copy of Elements a few months ago, and then the program starting slowing way down at start up – at "loading patterns". I finally removed them from the application folder. You also might have more than one place where a slow down is occurring. See if you can identify them/it, and then repost. Having the Adobe Online automatic update option turned on could result in a slowdown, too.
SH
Scott_Hoots
Dec 27, 2003
I thought you might be on to something w/ the Adobe online thing, but after disabling that the program still loads slowly. Just timed it, it takes 4 minutes. The slowdown occurs before the splash screen, so that’s not the issue. Any other ideas?
MM
Mac_McDougald
Dec 27, 2003
Try setting different default printer as test.
Load MS Generic Postscript printer set to file if you don’t have any other choices available.

Mac
FX
Frank_X_Brown
Dec 28, 2003
Scott,
did any of these suggestions resolve your problem? I am new to XP and am considering PSE…but after seeing your post I am hesitant to purchase the app.

FX
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 28, 2003
Frank,

Really not many people have that problem. Running XP Pro, the program loads in less than 5 seconds.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 28, 2003
I agree with Nancy, Frank. I’m a true dunce when it comes to XP, because I’m basically a Mac user. However, if your XP system is good and healthy and you remember to disable any antivirus software before installing any application, you’ll have no problems at all. Even I did it! And it all worked the first time through. 🙂
SH
Scott_Hoots
Dec 29, 2003
So far I have not completely resolved the issue. If I disable my wireless network before starting PSE it will load in seconds. If I don’t, it takes over four minutes. Nancy, any other suggestions?
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 29, 2003
Scott, I’m losing track, so this might have been covered already, but… Have you tried going into Edit>Preferences>Adobe Online and setting the frequency at which Elements checks for updates to Never? At installation, it will default to "Always", meaning it tries to go online every time the program is launched. There are no updates, so most of us here on the forum just turn this off. And forgive me if this idea is a repeat. I’m trying to do several things at once and haven’t taken time to review previous suggestions.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Dec 29, 2003
Probably looking for a network printer or something.
What’s your default printer?
Try setting it to Generic Postscript, set to file.

Mac
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 29, 2003
Mac’s suggestion is the only one which comes to my mind also.
SH
Scott_Hoots
Dec 30, 2003
The printer suggestion got it. I didn’t have generic postscript printer in my printers folder so I just made up a local printer and set it as default.

Thanks to all!
FX
Frank_X_Brown
Dec 30, 2003
Although,
I have not installed the program this thread has been informative and has given me some helpful suggestions should I encounter any problems. I recently had a bad experience with HP’s "Image Zone" software on my laptop and did not want to repeat the experience with this Adobe product.

Frank

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections