R
Posted By
Ricknh
Aug 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using Photoshop Elements 2.0 on a IBM Thinkpad, W’98, PII about 330mz. There is not nothing else running when I load PE 2.0, but it takes over 30 seconds to start-up. Building libraries, etc. seems way to slow. Is there a way to shorten this start-up? A bare bones version, or ??? My system is very "clean", almost no background programs in use. All other programs load quickly…
Thanks,
Rick

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NS
Nancy_S
Aug 26, 2004
As you watch the screen which shows the components loading, does it slow at a certain place, like fonts?
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 26, 2004
Also, this program takes a lot of system resources to operate. How much Ram do you have? PSE is memory intensive and requires a lot of contiguous free HD space. Your processor is kinda slow and undoubtedly your FSB is also no speed demon, could be your system can only offer marginal support of the program and therefore it will run slow. When you run a filter, does it take a very long time?

edit–it is likely you don’t have any other programs as demanding as this one on your system
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 26, 2004
Rick,

That’s the best your machine will do. You need a faster cpu. And a faster hard disk as well.

I use a 2.8 GHz Pentium4 running WindowsXP with 512 MB RAM and a 7200 rpm disk, and PSE still takes 8+ seconds or so to load even on that machine.

60-80 seconds should be close to the expected time for your machine. If you’re loading in only 30 seconds with a Win98 machine, a 330 MHz cpu and a 3600 rpm disk (which is almost surely the speed of disk you’re running right now) then you’re doing great. You ought to bend over your desk and kiss that thing 🙂

God bless,
Robert Ash
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 27, 2004
I wouldn’t phrase it quite the way Robert did, but I do agree the start up time is pretty fast with that CPU speed. Start up time ran between 25 and 30 seconds on my G4 550 Mac, with a 7200 rpm drive and 768MB of RAM. Maxing out your RAM might help, but it would more likely be evident during the processing of image files and not start up. I haven’t timed start up on my new computer, but it still isn’t instantaneous because there’s so much that needs to load.
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 27, 2004
You ought to bend over your desk and kiss that thing 🙂

Beth,

C’mon, help me out here. I wanted to see if he’d actually do it 😉

Maxing out your RAM might help, but it would more likely be evident during the processing of image files and not start up.

That’s correct.

Cheers,
Robert
R
Ricknh
Aug 27, 2004
Thanks to all for the info. I shall be happy with what I’ve got for now.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections