RK
Posted By
Robert_Kenney
Dec 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I received Photoshop Elements as a Christmas present.

I installed it successfully several times. Each time I didn’t think it worked because after starting the program I had a blank Adobe Photoshop Elements window (no menu bar, no tool bar). I tried installing it with my antivirus (Norton) disabled and various screen resolutions. Each time it appeared to install successfully but after starting the program I saw the empty window and found that the program wasn’t responding when I tried to close it.

Today, after another install, I tried to start the program. Still nothing. This time I got distracted and, much to my surprise about 3 minutes later, it started to load. Its been loading with a 2-3 minute delay on each subsequent attempt.

My system is a Toshiba satellite (P4 1.7GHz, 512Mb memory, NVida GeForce4 440 Go video card).

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ray
Dec 26, 2003
Bob,

How many fonts do you have installed on your computer? Perhaps Elements is stalling because there’s
a lot of fonts to read. I know mine does that, from time to time when it loads (white box on a white screen) while it loads its things (but with WinXP).

Ray
RK
Robert_Kenney
Dec 26, 2003
I have 85 fonts installed. I’m not sure if this is on the high, medium or low side. I haven’t tried to add lot of fonts.

Bob
R
Ray
Dec 26, 2003
I’d say it’s pretty low. I have over 200.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 26, 2003
I have just over 2400 fonts and it load in about 27 seconds on half the machine that you have (650Mhz). I suspect there are deeper problems causing the delay.

Grant

Home Pages http://home.cogeco.ca/~grant.dixon/index.htm

Challenge Pages http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/

Creativity is so delicate a flower that praise tends to make it bloom, while discouragement often nips it in the bud. Any of us will put out more and better ideas if our efforts are appreciated.

Alexander Osborn (1888 – 1966)

RK
Robert_Kenney
Dec 26, 2003
I have traced the problem down to having the network enabled. If I disable the network connection (or pull the plug), the application starts quickly.

Any thoughts?

Bob
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 26, 2003
Bob, sounds like the program is searching the network for something, doesn’t it? On my computer, there’s often a pause during the Elements startup while my second hard drive (which contains all my images) is awakened and brought up to speed…

Chuck
RK
Robert_Kenney
Dec 27, 2003
I have made sure that I don’t have any network drives that are connected. When I connect to work using a VPN client and then connect to the internet, I get a similar delay as the system is looking for a proxy server. I wonder if the delay is related…

Bob
RK
Robert_Kenney
Dec 28, 2003
Mystery solved…

It turns out that the problem was caused by my default printer. My default printer is a networked printer that is located on my wife’s PC. I have a reference to her pc in the WINNT/System32/drivers/etc/hosts file. Her IP address changed (probably because my son was home from college and added another PC to the network).

Apparently, Photoshop Elements is looking for the default printer before loading the program.

Bob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections