Stephen_Jarzombek
May 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have the problem that is described at:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/30baa.htm>

What I don’t get is the solution…….as far as I can tell, the patch described was the original patch that was superseded by a rolled-up version on Windows Update for a number of previous security patches. I no longer have that file or that particular patch listed in Add/Remove Programs.

Does the solution on the page above only apply to the original security patch, and not the updated version?

Acrobat Reader 6.0 is also very slow to produce the Print dialog box. Anyone know if recent Norton updates could be involved? Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 1, 2004
Stephen,

811493 has had mixed results; no problem for some and real slowdowns for others. From what I can tell both the original and replacement have had that effect.

My notes show that I uninstalled the patch last August "due to performance issues". (I download each update instead of using Windows Update and keep them all on a CD since I don’t want to have to download them all again if I have to blow away XP and start over.)

From the description of the update it’s my opinion that running without it on a stand alone home PC is just about risk free. I’ve never had a problem since removing it.

A Google search for 811493 will give you a lot of information. If it is affecting your performance I would uninstall it. That will at least let you find out if it is the culprit. If performance stays slow you can always do the update again and look further.

Bob
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
May 1, 2004
I downloaded and installed 811493 on 4/17/03 without degradation in performance. I have just been sent by Microsoft, free of charge!!!, a Security Update CD which is said to have enhancements to February 2004. I have not done anything with it as I don’t know if this will be duplicative of the downloads that they send periodically. Does anyone have experience with this?
Ken
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 1, 2004
Ken, I have XP set up to alert me whenever new downloads are available and recommended. I’ve installed several patches over the last six months, and I’ve had no problems with any of them. Sounds like you may have done the same thing. They haven’t sent me the CD, but I’m guessing it has the same stuff on it and they’re trying to plug the holes in as many Windows systems as they can. I’m also guessing that if it were duplicative or had any older patches, they’d be weeded out; however, it may be worth checking on the MS website to see if there’s any info about the CD.

Chuck
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 1, 2004
I’m also very surprised by the CD and I’d be very cautious… I’ve never heard Microsoft sending patch CD. I’d scan it for viruses, just in case.

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 1, 2004
Ken, I googled it – looks legit.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 1, 2004
Oh well… Sorry about my suspicion! Thanks Chuck for checking that.

Ray
SJ
Stephen_Jarzombek
May 3, 2004
I think I found the source of the problem–while the behavior was the same, I don’t think the patch was the issue.

One of the printers that was installed on my machine is attached to my son’s PC, which is not turned on all the time.

When I deleted that printer, both PE and Reader load immediately. If I reinstall that printer, the problems reappear.

Any idea why Adobe apps have this problem, while others don’t?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections