Posted By
Artistic Jenn
Jul 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!!!!

I have a big problem here… (CMYK, 300dpi, 11.25 x 8.75" doc)

I drag my ruler all the way over to the right side of my doc, so I can measure backwards… I place a guide at -3.687" and then proceed to try and drag my ruler to that guide line… the ruler jumps over to the left everytime, not much, but enough for it not to be exact. I can drag guides and the ruler other places and it lines up perfectly… what gives?????

PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!!!!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 14, 2004
Are you working at 100% view-size?
And do you have Snap to Guides checked?
AJ
Artistic Jenn
Jul 14, 2004
I have tried working at 100%, 300%, 800%… I have tried having Snap on AND off… no help!!!
R
Ram
Jul 14, 2004
Maybe your measurement falls right in the middle of a pixel. Try using pixels as units instead of inches and see if that helps.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 14, 2004
I have tried it on a 300 ppi file and it worked for me:
Try zooming right in while placing your guideline and then moving your ruler-origins.
AJ
Artistic Jenn
Jul 16, 2004
Well, it seems to be hit and miss… the best thing I could do was to zoom in and not place a guide and drag my ruler over. That worked 3 of 5 times. I’m not real sure what the issue is here. It doesn’t make much sense why the ruler would not snap to a common exact measurement (11/16). I suppose I will just continue to growl occasionally and grin and bear it…. Thanks for all your help!
P
progress
Jul 16, 2004
ive had this as well…i just find placing rulers at closer in zoom %’s works better…i’ve even had the info palette disagree with the rulers…i suspect its something lost between screen preview, rulers and snapping to pixel edges and the price of frozen concentrated orange juice.
AJ
Artistic Jenn
Jul 16, 2004
LOL! That made my week!
R
Ram
Jul 16, 2004
It doesn’t make much sense why the ruler would not snap to a common exact measurement (11/16).

If the resolution of the image (in terms of ppi) is not exactly divisible by 16, the program would have to round off. For instance, if the resolution is 300ppi, then 11/16" would be 206.25 pixels. In the best scenario the ruler would snap either at 206 or 267, wouldn’t it?
AJ
Artistic Jenn
Jul 19, 2004
Hmmm…. That’s food for thought, isn’t it….
R
Ram
Jul 19, 2004
Sorry, typo.

I meant "the ruler would snap either at 206 or 207," (not 267).
P
progress
Jul 20, 2004
it would make more sense ramon, if paths weren’t capable of being placed sub pixel…
R
Ram
Jul 20, 2004
Progress,

Although I don’t quite understand what you’re saying ("subpixel"), I would think that having half a pixel at or all along the origin (edge) of your canvas would be a lot more problematic than a path inside the image. However, I was only speculating anyway. You may be right.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2004
It seems that Guides and points on Paths can be placed in the middle of a pixel but Ruler Origins cannot — which may explain Jenn’s problem.
P
progress
Jul 20, 2004
Ramon, Ann has explained my point better. You can place a path in the middle of a pixel…and as origins are adjustable and more measurement based it doesnt seem quite logical to be contsrained to the pixel grid and not to be able to place them to a measurement precisely..imo.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2004
Paths need to be able to be placed anywhere — and so do Guides.

It is just the Ruler Origins which are constrained to pixel-edges.
AJ
Artistic Jenn
Jul 21, 2004
OOOHHH!!!!! I get it now…. That makes sense.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections