E
Posted By
evzen
Jul 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For example, I am creating one clipping path and saved it as clipping path 1 for a picture of a donut. Under the clipping path 1, I created a path using a pen tool on the edge of the donut and the other is inside the hole. Now, everytime I make a selection for the clipping path 1, it only select the path I’ve made on the edge of the donut, it doesn’t include the one I’ve made inside the hole. I remember not having any problem with this when I was still using PSD 6.0. What I am doing right know is manually selecting all paths using the direct selection tool. But sometimes when I do a lot of paths it’s taking too much of my time. Is there any quicker way to do this?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JC
joseph_coll
Jul 14, 2004
Sorry can’t help ye. I’m having the exact same problem!
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 14, 2004
With pen tool selected, choose the second icon from the right in the options bar at the top of the screen when you make your paths. To repair the file you have, pen tool selected, hold down command/option and select all of the nodes in your paths, then select the second icon, then ‘save as’ same filename to write over your old file. As you choose the icon, watch the thumbnail in the paths palette to see how this alters clipping.

Also, not a part of this problem, update to 7.0.1
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 14, 2004
Make sure that both the inside AND the outside paths of your doughnut are on the same Path "Layer" in the Paths palette; select that Path "Layer"; and choose "Clipping Path" from the palette’s pop-out menu.
E
evzen
Jul 15, 2004
Thanks for the suggestions guys, but can I explain my problem further, because I think my explanation is not very clear. I’ve opened a picture of a donut with a background on it. Now, I wanted to remove the background and make a clipping path for placement on another document. So I’ve traced the edge and the hole inside the donut using a pen tool. After doing that, I’ve saved the work path as clipping path 1. I’m doing this because I wanted to remove the background of the picture, but whenever I select the load path as selection icon, the path on the edge of the donut is the only one selected and not the hole inside the donut.

Actually there are a lot of ways to do the selection but I’m more productive and precise using the pen tool as a selection. By the way I’m using PSD 7.0.1 on OS 10.2.8.

I saw another thread with the same problem, but it has the same answers.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 15, 2004
If you make your clipping path exactly as I explained before, it will automatically remove any background WHEN you place your EPS file in your page layout program.

If you want to remove the background in Photoshop, you don’t need a clipping path.

However you can use your path to make a selection.

Cmd. click on the Path "Layer" (which MUST contain BOTH the inside and outside paths) and then make a Layer Mask. Do it this way and BOTH paths WILL be selected.

Or, with the selection active, Cmd. J to Jump a copy of your doughnut to a new transparent layer then delete the original doughnut layer.
E
evzen
Jul 15, 2004
Hi Ann,

"Cmd. click on the Path "Layer" (which MUST contain BOTH the inside and outside paths) and then make a Layer Mask. Do it this way and BOTH paths WILL be selected. "

This is exactly my problem, everytime I do this, only the outside path that I’ve made is the only one selected and not the inside. I used to do this before in PS 6.
P
PeterK.
Jul 15, 2004
The paths are probably in the wrong path mode (there are four icons in the options bar, it sounds like yours is set to the one on the far left, where every path only adds to the selection) If you want all of the inside paths to knockout from the outer paths, with the pen tool, hold command and drag a selection around all your paths, then from the path mode icons on the options bar, click on the icon on the far right. Or another method is to make sure you first click on the icon on the far right, then make a new path, and then cut and paste your path from the old path into this new one.
E
evzen
Jul 17, 2004
Thanks PeterK., you’re a life saver.
JC
joseph_coll
Jul 19, 2004
Thanks people great help! I take back all the stuff i said about sweet little clipping paths!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections