Posted By
M_Pandya
Aug 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there

I need to use photoshop images with clipping paths that were created in photoshop CS2 in a indesign CS3 doc (working on a mac OS X 10.5.4). The trouble is every time I try to import the image I get the spinning wheel of doom and the application stops responding.

The image opens up fine in CS3 photoshop, there only seems to be a problem with the path itself which I’ve tried copying onto other images which I know work and it does the same thing with them.

I used the image in indesign CS2 as a test and it worked properly, which is why I think the 2 packages are incompatible…. oddly enough, I’m using some really old images which were created before CS was a glint in the milkmans eye and they work perfectly.

Does anybody know a way around this, or indeed if this is a bug or something?

Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
Aug 21, 2008
InDesign doesn’t require Clipping Paths generally. You can import transparent PSDs.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 21, 2008
If you want to use EPS files with clipping paths, that is fine, but be aware that there were problems that InDesign recovered from about 2 years ago. I wrestled through that time with many problems with clipping and have lots of documentation I never want to drag out again.

The thing is to have everything updated. Files that were saved will not be fixed by copying paths, you need to re-save the files in an up-to-date version of Photoshop by doing ‘save as’ to overwrite.

Sorry you’re having this problem, it stinks but was remedied in updates. Try one file that you know doesn’t work and do the save-as to see if that fixes it. Open and save in the latest CS3 version of course.
MP
M_Pandya
Aug 21, 2008
Tried re-saving in CS3 and it still doesn’t work…. maybe I haven’t had the update that sorts this out???

The really rubbish thing with this is this I gave 56 cutouts to someone else to do to save time, They worked in CS2 and neither of us was aware of this problem until now!!!

The PSD thing has worked which is great (annoying that I have to go through all these images though). However, do you know if litho printers have any problems ripping these documents? I was always told never to send the PSD files you see … I’m about to send a 160 page catalogue to print and I could really do without any problems!
B
Buko
Aug 21, 2008
I was always told never to send the PSD files you see

I always use PSDs but never send them.

Export PDFs from ID.
MP
M_Pandya
Aug 21, 2008
ok, will do.

Thanks very much everyone…. been really helpful, I’ll make sure i pass this info on.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 22, 2008
Very important to have everyone working with updated software. While I remember the problem coming up with CS2, the final update cleared the problem with paths and the rendering of paths in InDesign. The problem was in InDesign itself.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections