Posted By
editgrrl
Dec 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone,
I have a picture which has a part of the image in black where a clipping path was, and color outside with an aura effect. I’m trying to replace the black with a bright pink, but none of the color adjustment tools will adjust within the clipping path area, save for one which only put a dull impression of pink in that area. Any suggestions? Thanks =)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JS
John_Slate
Dec 21, 2006
The color of any given part of an image has nothing to do with clipping paths.

If you are having trouble changing an area of an image to some color, indicate what methods you have tried (list all the steps), and perhaps we can help.

If you are using the replace color option that will not work on black. That option is misnamed really, as it really just makes HSL modifications to your selection. What happens if you make a selection of the black area and edit>fill>normal 100% with the pink color you want?
E
editgrrl
Dec 22, 2006
Thanks, I’ll try it.
I’m going to be leaving to go out of town for a few days but if there’s time will try it later tonight. Thanks =)
E
editgrrl
Dec 23, 2006
Ok, tried it –
The problem is it’s not a solid area. There’s a solid area there but it moves out into an aura efect. In addition there are some detail areas which are black that I would like to change also. I would like to change all black in the figure to pink, including the gradations out. But mesing with the tolerance doesn’t do the trick.
JS
John_Slate
Dec 23, 2006
If there is nothing but black (ie neutral tones) in your image there are quite a number of ways to make it all shades of pink. Here are a few:

1- Convert to grayscale and save as tiff, then place the tiff in a layout program and colorize with your pink

2- Convert to grayscale, then to duotone choosing the monotone option, picking a pink Pantone color.

3- Control-click on the composite channel at the top of the channels palette, invert the selection, add a new layer, edit>fill with your pink, delete your original layer, and flatten.

It might help to know what you are trying to do with this picture.
JS
John_Slate
Dec 23, 2006
That should be command-click in option #3 in my last post
E
editgrrl
Jan 5, 2007
Thanks
Sorry I’m so late getting back. It’s just been one thing after another with the holidays. I’ve got to get this done though. I’d be happy to email you the pic so you can see it.

I’m playing around with the things you suggested. I"m not sure how exactly I arrived, originally, at the picture I"ve got. I took the main picture and played around with the levels and curves, not really knowing what I was doing, until I arrived at something interesting. Then, I took it into the neon glow filter, and ended up with a floaty, aura-like picture that has a black figure and some blackish details, and a blue background with some detail. Now, he wants to make the figure fuschia, keeping the blue background. Which means all the subtle blacks need to be changed to fuschia, and the blue needs to stay unchanged. I just really don’t know where to go with it.

Oh, and as for its use – I used it for his flyers, and now it is going to be his book cover.

Appreciate any advice as I"m cruched for time and it’s taking hours and hours to try to track down what to do. Let me know if you would like me to email you a picture. Thanks =)
B
Buko
Jan 5, 2007
use select > color range

then select the little guy change his color to whatever.
E
editgrrl
Jan 6, 2007
That’s helping. I’ll keep playing with it. It’s not getting all the smoothness and gradiations of the filter though.
You know what would be perfect? If I could color the black channel pink without affecting the blue background. I don’t know how to split the image up though. And it’s hard to do because there’s an aura gradating from the foreground to the background.
B
Buko
Jan 6, 2007
If you had the little guy on his own layer.
E
editgrrl
Jan 6, 2007
Ok…
I’ve got him on his own layer and turned it pink by playing with the channels. But there’s still either the pink picture or the blue background on the bottom layer. I guess I could try to mask it out although due to way the picture is blended, it might not look right. Would you like to see the picture?
B
Buko
Jan 6, 2007
sure. email me the PSD.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections