JL
Posted By
Jeff_Lentz
Jul 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If Adobe plans any further updates for Illustrator CS and Photoshop CS, please just repackage Illustrator 9 and Photoshop 6 and lie to me. I I’d rather be ripped off with software that actually works as opposed to buying updates that are less stable and unable to perform simple task that legacy versions were capable of. Illustrator CS is just a trainwreck that has made Freehand more and more appealing. Now the very software I used to say was almost flawless cannot even convert a clipping path to a selection. Clipping paths with compound paths will not convert. I keep getting a Pop-Up that says no pixels were selected. I have this problem on more than one file so the file is not the issue. Interesting enough, I took one file into Photoshop 5.5 and poof! – instant selection. Seriously, I read through these forums more and more it seems lately. I have reached the conclusion that Adobe’s engineers have stopped user testing and gone on a permanent vacation. Wake up Adobe and fix the issues with Photoshop CS and Illustrator CS. I keep checking my email everday for a Class Action Suit. I am sure I am not the only one that feels like I didn’t get dinner and a movie first.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 23, 2004
Before launching into that tirade, did you actually read either the Manual or Photoshop Help?

Try that and then, if you still don’t understand how to use your CS software, come back and someone may be willing to help you.

Clue:
Path behaviour has been changed since Photoshop 6.
There is a FAQ on the subject here which you might find helpful: JasonSmith "Pen tool is not working properly/paths are reversed/pen tool creates masks or shapes instead of paths" 1/28/03 9:47am </cgi-bin/webx?50>

Also, In the paths flyout menu/Make Selection…
Set the Feather Radius to zero.
JL
Jeff_Lentz
Jul 23, 2004
Ann-

Sorry about the tirade. It just seems to me that an update should make an exercise easier. In older versions of photoshop, making a clipping path into a selection involved a mouse click. I apologize that I do not understand the advance in complicating a simple task. I have used Photoshop since it was 3.0 and for the most part your updates were intuitive and so easy to implement that it was not necessary to relearn the software. I guess I should dust off the old manual to make more sense of Adobe’s progress. If only I had the time, but with Illustrator crashing everytime I try to print or save a file as an eps, I just stay so much more busy now. Surprise! I realize Path behavior has changed since 6.0 when Adobe decided to combine a useless tool like vector mask with something useful like the path tool. And to make the vector mask the default was pure genius. But thanks for the clue anyway. Also I would set the feater radius to zero if the flyout popped up. The warning: No pixels were selected pops up as soon as I try to convert to a selection either in the menu bar or in the side tab. Please understand I work with Adobe software to make a living, I have worked with Adobe software for a very long time. I have more than a intermediate understanding of Adobe software. Quite simply Adobe dropped the ball on Photoshop CS and dropped the whole tent on Illustrator. I am familiar enough with Adobe Support to know I will not receive an answer to the issue. As with Illustrator CS, Adobe probably won’t acknowledge the issue. I am just trying to let anyone that might still work in the Adobe engineering department know that this dog will not hunt.
R
Ram
Jul 23, 2004
Jeff,

From the tenor of your reply to Ann, I infer that you have not grasped the nature of these User-to-User forums.

We are all users just like you, and no one is under any obligation to reply. We are here to offer help to each other, that’s all.

When anybody launches into a tirade, rants or whines, they are wasting their time and ours.

You should indeed read the User Guide and buy the Classroom in a Book series, as well as reading the FAQs and searching the forums to see if others have the same issues you do. If you do the latter, you’ll find that for most users these applications are running just fine. You really should concentrate on solving your problems. If you want to complain to Adobe, call them or write to them directly.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 23, 2004
Jeff:

Try it this way:

Select the pen tool and, in the options bar at the top of the screen, click on the second icon from the left and also highlight the second icon from the right.

In the paths palette, click the "Create new path" icon and draw your paths.

Make sure that both the inside AND the outside paths of your doughnut are on the same Path "Layer" in the Paths palette; select that Path "Layer"; and choose "Clipping Path" from the palette’s pop-out menu.

To use your path to make a selection with zero feathering:

Either Option click on the Load Path as Selection Icon at the bottom of the paths palette; or use the pop-out menu to "Make New Selection". In the next dialog, make sure that Feather is at zero and that "New Selection" is checked.

Once that is done, you can
Cmd. click on the Path "Layer" (which MUST contain BOTH the inside and outside paths) to get a Selection quickly at any time.

Incidentally, I have not run into any of the problems which seem to be plaguing you in either Photoshop or in Illustrator CS.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 24, 2004
Jeff, I’m on your side about the paths.
The solution is a work-around the bug.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 24, 2004
In what way is it a "bug"?
It works as I would expect it to.

The only improvement that I would like to see would be for the Feather in the paths palette to be shown on the Options bar when the pen tool is selected.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 24, 2004
Ann, I work nights on any of about 20 Macs that others use during the day in various (sticky) ways. Some of the paths I work on used to take 10 hours to make in Photoshop 5, now they take longer. Sometimes I have to duplicate the paths I made and delete the outer segment…

…. bug!
JL
Jeff_Lentz
Jul 24, 2004
Ramón-

Thanks for clearing up the purpose of these forums for me. Let me assure you I have tried to contact Adobe in the manner you proposed on several occasions. I will say again, Adobe does not seem to acknowledge the bugs in their software. They prefer to blame it on the user or Apple. Anyone who has had the misfortune to speak with either customer service or tech support can verify that. Since these forums are on Adobe’s website I am expressing my opinion on Adobe’s latest and greatest, in hopes that other users that are just as frustrated and annoyed can collectively be heard. The bugs in Illustrator and Photoshop are not new. Adobe has had time to fix these issues. As far as these applications running fine, I wish I lived in your world. I work in an Art Dept with twenty other highly qualified and experienced designers as well as daily contact with colleagues in all aspects of the design industry. They all have the same software issues, rants and whines that I have. You are right about one thing, none of the users in this forum are obligated to help with these issues. ADOBE IS OBLIGATED. If these forums are not the correct place for users to post their rants and whines about software that amounts to what I consider to be corporate rip-off , by all means direct to me to the proper outlet . I apologize for wasting your time and all the other users you were gracious enough to speak for.
R
Ram
Jul 24, 2004
There you go again!

What part of "complain to Adobe, not here" don’t you understand, Jeff?

Call Adobe, write to them. There’s info on the site.
JL
Jeff_Lentz
Jul 24, 2004
Ann-

I sincerely thank you for your input to help me with clipping paths. Unfortunately, your instructions led to the same result. Warning: No Pixels Were Selected. Yes I would say that is a bug.

Thank you Laurentiu, Your bug work-around did work.

Ann please tell me what OS you are running Illustrator and Photoshop on.

I run them on another feat of engineering excellence OS X. Illustrator crashes almost everytime I try to save a file as an eps and crashes almost as frequently when I try to print an Illustrator file. Everyone I have talked to has the same problems give or take a slight variation. There is even another thread in these forums regarding this issue.

We have tried everything. I even opened Illustrator, drew a box, tried to save as an eps. Illustrator crashed, I would call that a bug also.

I realize that I may come across as cynical and crass, but I really do not appreciate having to buy upgrades that are not upgrades at all. Illustrator and Photoshop have gone backwards. They are less stable and less intuitive than their predecessors. I am not being resistant to change, I just don’t want expanded capabilities at the expense of fundamental task no longer working.
I could be mistaken but I don’t think I am alone.
R
Ram
Jul 24, 2004
I realize that I may come across as cynical and crass

More like an inconsiderate, clueless, stubborn pest. :/
JL
Jeff_Lentz
Jul 24, 2004
Ramón-

Thanks for volunteering to be the Adobe Forum hall monitor. I would like to know if anyone else is having the same issues with Adobe’s software that I am having. Not to mention the bug-workaround-fix from Laurentiu, thanks again. That is what these forums are for. So please quit wasting your time in these post and go finish your resume and application to Adobe.
R
Ram
Jul 24, 2004
We are all here to learn, Jeff. You’re just wasting my time and that of all other forum users with your rants. Just ask your questions and keep the whining and ranting to yourself.

Finally, the s.o.b. hasn’t been born who can tell me what to do. Take your sarcastic "advice" and shove it.
JL
Jeff_Lentz
Jul 24, 2004
Ramón-

I have probably been working in these industry since you were in diapers so be careful who you call clueless. As far as inconsiderate and stubborn pest, yea that is what these forums are for. Why don’t you find a nice chatroom where you can go talk to assholes such as yourself. Let the grown-ups talk NOW please.
R
Ram
Jul 24, 2004
Jeff,

I began using computers in the course of my work in the early 1960s. You’re a moron.
JL
Jeff_Lentz
Jul 24, 2004
Yea- you’ve definitely got a lot to learn. There are other threads to read in these forums. Quit wasting your time in this one.
JL
Jeff_Lentz
Jul 24, 2004
I can tell your a smart one
BF
Bruce_Fraser
Jul 25, 2004
Jeff,

I’ve never known the Photoshop team to refuse to acknowledge reproducible bugs that are their fault. You had a piss-poor attitude coming in here, that just got worse. If you love Photoshop 6 and Illustrator 9 so much, I’ll be happy to put them in Photoshop CS and illustrator CS boxes and sell them to you. Hell, I can even throw in a Daystar box running OS 8.6 for you to run them on. Make me an offer.

Adobe’s obligations to you are spelled out very clearly in the license agreement you indicated you had read, understood, and accepted before you installed the software. If you want to hire some low-life ambulance-chaser to file a class action suit, go ahead, it’s your money, and you seem to know all the potential plaintiffs since everyone you know is having these problems and nobody else is.

The clipping path issue is a design decision that you happen to disagree with. The other problems sound very much like a bad OS install or bad hardware. They aren’t reproducible here.
P
progress
Jul 25, 2004
"The clipping path issue is a design decision that you happen to disagree with"

to be fair, i havent come across anyone who does agree with it

…..but theres more than one way to skin a cat here
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 25, 2004
Bruce, The young Tibetans are growing restless : )
You could give them guidance or sell them the Red (and black) Book.

It looks like Jeff wrote his piece out of frustration; please don’t respond with anger! : )
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 25, 2004
<< Unfortunately, your instructions led to the same result. Warning: No Pixels Were Selected. Yes I would say that is a bug. >>

Jeff:

The only way that you can get that message is if you have two paths that are very close together and you have a large Feather value in play.

Try following my instructions EXACTLY by opening the Make Selection PALETTE from inside the PATHS palette.

You can there from the palette pop-out, by Option Clicking on the Make Selection icon; or Control clicking on the Path’s "layer".

In the Make Selection Palette:
Set Feather radius to zero;
Check "Anti-aliased if required;
Check "Make New Selection".

You asked what equipment I am using: Currently a G5 2GHz Dual running OS 10.3.4 with all updates installed for both Photoshop CS and the OS. This, however has no bearing on understanding how to use the paths tools.

As for LT’s problem:
I still don’t understand why you can’t edit badly-drawn original paths to fit your needs — particularly if you have checked "Auto Add/Delete" in the Options bar.

The only thing that I can think of is that the originators of those paths are making them from a Selection rather than from a pen-drawn Path — with the result that they have thousands of extraneous points.

If that is the case, it is frankly quicker to trash the original path and re-draw it from scratch.

Better still, either fire the person who is creating paths from Selections or make them fix every single one of them themselves!

I can’t see how it is Adobe’s fault if the user refuses to learn how to use the provided tools correctly.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 25, 2004
<< Illustrator crashes almost everytime I try to save a file as an eps and crashes almost as frequently when I try to print an Illustrator file. …… Everyone I have talked to has the same problems give or take a slight variation. There is even another thread in these forums regarding this issue. We have tried everything. I even opened Illustrator, drew a box, tried to save as an eps. Illustrator crashed, I would call that a bug also. >>

Your problem here is most likely a fonts issue.

Try checking the health of your fonts, removing damaged and duplicated ones, exchanging System .dfonts for a PostScript font of the same font, and using a decent font management program. (FontAgent Pro 2.1.1 seems to be trouble-free but other programs are not.)

Also do a search for "AdobeFnt" and trash every iteration that you find except for "AdobeFnt.db"

Now get a decent book on the subject of both of these programs, as well as David Pogue’s "The Missing Manual", and try actually learning to use the programs and OSX correctly.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 25, 2004
hmm..

There is no clear cut answer Jeff.

Bitch and deal with it. I do.
MM
Murray_MacNeill
Aug 25, 2004
Jeff,

If it’s any consolation, I too am having the same problem. I’ve created a path in Photoshop 7.0.1. It’s a compound path and when a "make selection" command is issued Photoshop returns a "Warning: no pixels were selected" dialog. If I delete some of the inside paths, I can then make a selection. When I redraw the paths, I receive the same message. Is it possible that this could be a memory issue?

Regards,

Murray MacNeill
JL
Jeff_Lentz
Aug 25, 2004
Murray-

It is not likely a memory issue, the G5’s we run here could launch satellites. I tried all of Ann’s suggestions and I came up with the same result. I did however figure it out. In the pen tool menu, make sure that the auto add/delete box is checked. In the menu icon bar to the far right (the one with the icons that resemble Illustrator pathfinder) click the first icon ( the one that looks like pathfinder union). This seemed to work after some tinkering around with selecting all the paths with the arrow tool. I cannot vouch 100 percent that it will work everytime though. PIA fix: You can also draw each path of a compound path on a separate layer and then convert each layer to a selection and save each as a selection and take your chances with the channels panel. The quickest workaround is to just save your file and open it back up in good ol Photoshop anything but CS and simply click the make path a selection button at the bottom.

Good luck

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections