How to shrink a clipping path very slightly?

MH
Posted By
Marlene_Hochberg
Oct 14, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m working with an image from a Photodisc object stock photo CD. The built-in clipping path doesn’t precisely fit the object — when I drop the object (a flower) on a black background, I can see a very, very thin white edge around some areas of the flower.

Is there a way to shrink the clipping path (but not the flower image) very slightly, so it hugs the flower a little more closely?

Or is there a better way to get rid of those faint white edges?

They do show up when printed on a 1200 dpi laser printer, so it’s not just something showing up on-screen.

TIA,

Marlene

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

M
MMnospam
Oct 14, 2005
wrote in message
I’m working with an image from a Photodisc object stock photo CD. The built-in clipping path doesn’t precisely fit the object — when I drop the object (a flower) on a black background, I can see a very, very thin white edge around some areas of the flower.

Is there a way to shrink the clipping path (but not the flower image) very slightly, so it hugs the flower a little more closely?

Or is there a better way to get rid of those faint white edges?
They do show up when printed on a 1200 dpi laser printer, so it’s not just something showing up on-screen.

TIA,

Marlene

Once you’ve made your selection, go to Select / Modify / Contract

experiment with amount of contraction
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 14, 2005
Go to the paths palette and select the path in the palette. Then you can use Ctrl-T to transform the selection. Using the options bar at the top you can enter precise values, controling where it shrinks or grows from, or you can use your mouse for freehand transforming.
M
MMnospam
Oct 14, 2005
Go to the paths palette and select the path in the palette. Then you can use Ctrl-T to transform the selection. Using the options bar at the top you can enter precise values, controling where it shrinks or grows from, or you can use your mouse for freehand transforming.

Are you sure about this? From my experience,
Ctrl-T would only work well with perfectly square
or round shapes.
MH
Marlene_Hochberg
Oct 15, 2005
YrbkMgr,

Thanks, that did the trick. I wasn’t selecting the path properly. I was using "make selection" instead of using the direct selection tool, and I kept resizing the entire image, not just the clipping path.

I shrank the path by .5%, which took care of most of the problems, and then spent 20 minutes tweaking the path by hand.

I don’t think Sherlock Holmes could spot a white edge on that flower now!

Marlene

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections