RN
Posted By
Roger Neilson
Dec 21, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m just starting to scan all our family photographs, tidy them and classify them. I’ve got a Canon Lide 50 scanner and am using Adobe Album 2 and Photoshop elements. So far all is going well.

However I have realised that even on moderate jpeg settings I’m going to end up with a mass of pictures to store. I want to do this because

1) its an easier way of keeping the pictures
2) I can make a secure backup and they are safer this way
3) I can give copies to my son and daughter so they have all their
past as well.

I’m sure I’m not the only one doing this sort of thing, so any advice is welcomed from the many who have already trodden this path.

In particular I’d appreciate your comments on:

1) The quality of scan to use and the quality of jpeg to save
2) How reliable you find the Elements autofix commands – certainly
faster than tweaking each element for each picture, some of which are decidedly faded and browned now from the 1970’s
3) I think I need to get an internal DVD burner and save them this way rather than have loads of CDs – any advice about the best kind to get?
4) Best ways of tagging them, so far I’m doing it by person on
picture, location and thinking about the year taken – overall that should allow several ways of organising any final product.

Thanks, I’m sure you will offer me lots to think about.

Cheers

Roger

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections