A
Posted By
ahall
Mar 28, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just bought a Dell XPS 600, with the NVIDEA 7800 video card in it.

I will be using it for photo (CS2) and video editing.

I want a lot of pixels on my screen(s).

I am willing to go as high as the Dell 3007, a 30" 3560×1600 pixel flat panel.

Would it be better to get one high quality high resolution CRT (recommendations welcomed) and a smaller flat panel (again specifics highly welcomed)?

I have the Spyder 2 Pro calibration tools.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in comp.graphics.apps.photoshop…)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

K
Kingdom
Mar 30, 2006
wrote in news::

Would it be better to get one high quality high resolution CRT (recommendations welcomed) and a smaller flat panel (again specifics highly welcomed)?

Thanks in advance,

If your serious about imaging you NEED a CRT.

CRT will be around for a long time yet but as flat screens take over the price of CRT is going to steadily climb so buy the biggest and best you can get.

‘Mirror mirror on the wall who is the prettiest of them all?’ ‘Snow White you dirty bitch and don’t you forget it!’
C
Clyde
Mar 30, 2006
Kingdom wrote:
wrote in news::

Thanks in advance,

If your serious about imaging you NEED a CRT.

CRT will be around for a long time yet but as flat screens take over the price of CRT is going to steadily climb so buy the biggest and best you can get.

I wouldn’t bet that CRT monitors will be around for a long time. Have you tried to find any recently? I don’t mean the 17" & 19" that are used to keep the price of systems down in advertising. I mean the large, high quality, pro grade, designed for graphics, CRTs that we really need for Photoshop.

They are dropping like flies. Sony quit making theirs. Others have dropped many of these models. Yes, you can still buy a few of them, but the numbers are declining rapidly.

Building monitors for the Photoshop market means that you don’t have a really big market. Monitor makers have to make money. If the money is in flat screens, that is where they will put their research and advertising. That is what they will sell. If a small part of their product line becomes unprofitable, it will get dropped.

So, I do think we will have good CRT monitors for awhile. However, I do expect 98% of them to go away very soon.

My $0.02,
Clyde
M
Mardon
Mar 31, 2006
wrote:

Thanks in advance,

I believe that the nVidia 7800 has dual DVI support, so I suggest dual monitors. I love mine! I don’t think that anyone who has ever used dual monitors would go back to one. For example, Dual HP2335 23" LCD monitors running at 1920×1200 provide 3840×1200 pixels of real estate. To drive my monitors, I use an nVidia Quadro FX4400 GPU with 512MB memory. I also calibrate with a Spyder2Pro. Windows XP doesn’t handle profiles for dual monitors properly but the "Profile Chooser’ that comes with the Spyder does the job.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections