BM
Posted By
brian_mangum
Dec 1, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
as most of us know, Photoshop’s ability to halftone is mediocre at best. Ive tried the filters and even the haltone method under bitmap, but the dots still look so pixelated -even at 1200dpi. I know the dots will never be vectors in photoshop but thick ‘plus signs’ for circles is unacceptable. I know I could bring it all into illustrator for live trace but it seems like overkill. can anyone recommend a decent plugin for mac that will produce halftone effects the way they are supposed to look?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JS
John_Slate
Dec 2, 2006
Why do you feel you need to screen images?

Screening is usually performed strictly in output (ie in a rip)

Are you making coarse screens for effects or something?

I believe the best result from the bitmap>halftone method happen when destination file resolution equals 16x the screen ruling… which means for coarse screen rulings, choppy dot edges.

There is a Photoshop limitation in that method whereby you can only specify 64x the screen ruling for resolution and end up with the screen ruling you specify, otherwise it makes a finer ruling.

So if you wanted to make a 2 lpi image you could use a maximum of 128ppi.

To get a smoother dot @ 2 lpi you would need to then go into grayscale, do a bicubic resampling higher, (maybe with a very slight blur thrown in) then convert back to bitmap at a higher ppi.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections